business insurance?

Mrand Mrs

Expert Expediter
We have been having a hard time finding insurance for our cargo van. It's the last thing holding us up...our insurance guy has been playing around for 2 weeks. I tried an ERIE insurance agent as recommeded by a couple members here and he asked what our plans were for business insurance in addition to the van insurance. What's that? Do we need it? He's calling back this afternoon. Help!:'(

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Your business insurance will be covered by the company you lease onto. This would be your liabilty insurance while under dispatch. Remember your under dispatch when you are empty heading to your next load or heading to your home. This is not a big deal. Normally the carrier your leasing to can be very competitive on your vehicle insurance, also your work accident coverage. If still having problems check with the carrier and see if they can recommend someone. Best of luck and keep us posted how you make out.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
One that comes to mind is Baldwin and Lyons under the name Protective Insurance out of Indianapolis In. Also you might want to check the Truck Stop hand outs our Overdrive Magazine. They should be able to hook you up.

Mrand Mrs

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the advice Glen! The ERIE guy never called back-in fact, the only response we got back out of the 10 requests we did was one company that asked, "What's expediting?"!!! LOL! We'll let you know how we do. Thanks again.:7

camhami

Expert Expediter
Here is the company I used when I had a class 8 tractor. They specialize in owner / operators and had the best rates that I could find. Maybe they can help you with the van.

The Campbell Group
Grand Rapids, MI
800-748-0351
Teresa Bundy
www.thecampbellgrp.com

towinwnc

Expert Expediter
Have you talked to the company that your going to sign on with sometimes they can help you, or know someone who can.

jasonsprouse

Expert Expediter
I'm don't do expediting (anymore) but I do own a business driving vans (roadside assistance). I have a policy written through Auto Owners Insurance that is a combination Commercial Auto policy and Business Liability policy.

Don't let anybody convince you don't need both, as a contractor you are a business owner and you are liable for anything that happens. The bobtail insurance that your carrier will require you to buy is only to protect them, not you.

Mrand Mrs

Expert Expediter
Thank you all for the advice. We heard back from the Campbell Group and have given them all of the info they needed and should hear back from them tomarrow. We also called the recruiter who gave us the name of an American Family agent that most of their guys go through. The guy wants to switch all of our auto and home over to American Family to get a bundle discount. We're not sure if that's the smart way to go but we'll check out their quote tomarrow too. I think American Family is a pretty reputable company, aren't they? Once again, thanks for all the help!! Hopefully Rick will be on the road THIS week!!!

miko

Expert Expediter
I like to put in my 2 cents too.
We had trouble with the insurance for our 1-ton cargo van too.
We have now liability insurance trough State Auto at about $80/month. The agent told us, that load insurance would run about $3500/year. We can not afford that since we only run one vehicle and don't get that many loads to cover up the cost. The shipping company we get loads from covers the loads we haul.
We had to call numerous insurance companies, and most of the well known companies would not even consider us, I the heck don't know what the problem is.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Well I just bought insurance for my new (to me) 1 ton van today. The only company that I could find without spending a week looking was Progressive. I called Erie and they told me they could not insure my van for delivery work. Bah.

Anyway, I got the bare minimums including collision etc. and the premium was $2070 per year. Since I can buy a rider policy through Dynamex that raises all that to the $1 Million level for $8 a week this was the way for me to go. If I were to opt for the $1M coverage directly from Progressive it would have been $4888/yr. Salty.

After all the dust settles on getting the new truck humming along I may want to look at other plans.

--
Mike N

Mrand Mrs

Expert Expediter
We ended up getting our insurance through American Family-we switched our homeowners and other auto insurance over too and with the multiple policy discount our coverage ended up costing about $1500/yr. We also bought an additional umbrella policy covering everything up to $1M for another $325/yr. The agent told us that alot of insurance companies aren't familiar with expediting with cargo vans and try to put us in the same classification with the heavier weight trucks. It was pretty surprising that almost all of the insurance companies we contacted really didn't have any idea what we were talking about. Our original insurance guy ended up quoting us almost $4500. Crazy!

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
What different types of insurance are required for a cargo van? I know I have to have the same type insurance that I have on my car, such as liability and property damage, and also collision if I have a lein on it. What other insurance policies are written for expediting? :+ :+