Building a sleeper

mariog1

Seasoned Expediter
I have a Paid For newer model International 4300 with a 26' box, and am looking to return to expediting. Rather than trading this in and buying an expediter I am looking to build a sleeper in the cargo box. I have seen other straight trucks have been converted this way, and was wondering on what kind of costs I am looking at. I am figuring on the following.

Bulkhead, landing gear, exit door with window, vented window, bed with restraints, and passway to cab. The finish out I can do most of myself(flooring, insulation, power inverter, lighting, extending exhaust). ALso this truck has a liftgate. Good? Bad? or go to ICC bumper?

I have O/O expediting experience driving an 72" Alumi-Bunk sleepered C-Unit. Liked the sleeper, but not the truck. Sold it and went back to local work. So I have an Idea of what I am in for.
If you built your own sleeper, or have an idea of costs, or advice all is appreciated.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The first thing to check is if It could be certified by the DOT as a "Legal" sleeper.

There are problems with the separation between the sleeper and cargo area`s that are difficult if not impossible to overcome.

If however you are only looking for a space for a solo driver to flop,then job should be pretty straight forward,limited only by your funds and imagination. Logging "Sleeper Berth" Time would not be permited.

Reactions: TeamCaffee

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you intend to build the sleeper in the box the rear wall of the sleeper must be able to withstand a 6,000 lb impact.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
If you intend to build the sleeper in the box the rear wall of the sleeper must be able to withstand a 6,000 lb impact.
I'm pretty sure the front wall of the box wouldn't stop a 6000 lb object from hittin you in the drivers seat