Brake Drum Counter Weight

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
On Monday morning I was making a delivery in Pasagoula MS and noticed that the right rear outside tire was low.It looked like I had about 12,000 lbs on board when actually only had about 500. I didn!t pay too much attention to it and after the delivery stopped for cheap MS fuel on I 10 and walked around and saw that the inside tire was flat. This was at a Cone truck stop and they had a tire repair facility on the premises. The guy was out but he came right back,jacked up the truck ,took off the outside tire and the problem was that a balancing counterweight on the brake drum had broken off and cut the valve stem on the tire. I didn!t even know that they did this to brake drums. He suggested that I get a new drum as now it would be unbalanced and cause excessive tire wear.I did this yesterday to the tune of $175. and the service guy told me this is not uncommon when trucks get old. It bears checking out older trucks,but newer drums are turned true at the factory.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just about every brake drum I have seen on cars and trucks alike has a balancing weight attached to it on the outside. As the drum gets old and rusts up/deteriorates, the weight can fall off. Many driveshafts have balancing weights also where the same thing can happen.
-Weave-