Box Truck Business (looking for advice)

jmiller96

New Recruit
Researching
Friend and I are looking to go into business together. We for the most part understand getting started, from MC number to insurance, all that. We want to do it together, to provide easier start up, two people putting money in. If we were to get a 26ft Box Truck… If I understand right, that truck can only run up to 11 hours with a 30 minute break after the first 8. Even if two people are driving, because there is no sleeper the truck cannot drive past the 11 hours without the resting period. Correct me if wrong please.
Is it possible for us to go in on one truck together, when one person has hit the 11 hours, they go home, the next person takes over the truck for the next 11. Repeat that for the week, say one person works Monday, Wednesday, Friday, the other works Tuesday and Thursday and we switch that schedule each week. The truck runs 5 days or more a week but we aren’t going over each individuals required resting off duty time. Does this sound possible, and profitable for two people operating one truck?

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
You need a truck with a sleeper birth or plan to get hotel rooms because they will ask for recipes of a hotel stay with a truck with no sleeper.

Reactions: Malek

jmiller96

New Recruit
Researching
Thank you for your reply. What I am saying, is only one driver in the truck at the time. When one driver gets to their point where they must stop, they will go off duty at home and rest. Booking the 10-11 hour route or whatever, to conclude back at the origin. Now at this time under one driver the truck is down for at-least 7 hours or however long you have to rest off duty. But while the truck is down, the other driver that has been off duty at home, picks up another route until they hit the 11 and repeat. That way the truck can run all week, making money for two people, in one truck. Is this crazy or possible?

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
The route is going to have to always end back at base because your using a daycab straight truck.
Question does the truck have electronic log book? If it does then you just have to have both drivers in that electronic log book.

A

Alipiama

Hey there. I just came across your thread and wanted to share my 2 cents. To answer your question, yes, you are correct that a 26ft box truck can only run up to 11 hours with a 30-minute break after the first 8. Your idea of having one person work certain days and the other work other days, while switching the schedule each week, is definitely possible. But before you jump into this business, I highly recommend creating a business plan. A business plan will help you outline your goals, strategies, financial projections, and potential challenges. You can find more information about why you need a business plan at F.A.Q. - OGScapital. Anyway, good luck with your box truck business! Let us know how it's going.

Reactions: Malek and John49

Tkayclark

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
1. A Driver can only DRIVE up to 11 hours OTR. You are obviously not going to be OTR since you are talking about swapping out drivers.
2 The TRUCK can be operated 24/7, there are no HOS for a TRUCK only for Drivers.
3 Check your States DOT regulations, in Texas a local driver (Intrastate) has different rules than an OTR driver.

“The provisions of Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, §395.3 shall not apply to intrastate commerce. Drivers in intrastate commerce will be permitted to drive 12 hours following 8 consecutive hours off duty. Drivers in intrastate commerce may not drive after having been on duty 15 hours, following 8 consecutive hours off duty. Drivers in intrastate commerce violating the 12 or 15 hour limits provided in this paragraph shall be placed out-of-service for 8 consecutive hours. Drivers of vehicles operating in intrastate commerce shall be permitted to accumulate the equivalent of 8 consecutive hours off duty by taking a combination of at least 8 consecutive hours off duty and sleeper berth time; or by taking two periods of rest in the sleeper berth, providing:”