Boss wants me to buy a Sprinter

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
Specifically, one of his. I told him I wanted to sign on a van, and I was going to ask him if he'll sign on a cube van, rates, policies, etc. Didn't get a chance to ask any of it. He sent me info on the several Sprinters he has sitting idle. Told him I'm planning on getting a Transit, and he's steering me away from that, or actually, steering me towards taking one of these Sprinters off his hands. Says the Transits won't last 500,000 miles like the Sprinters.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Find the threads where Moot details his experiences and expenses driving a Transit. If you are as diligent and meticulous in your maintenance and upkeep you'll likely get a million miles out of a Transit and at lower cost and headaches than in a Sprinter.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
Before I would buy one of his Sprinters , I would need to see maintenance records. Has maintenance been done on time. What condition are tires in, check brake pedal for wear and tear. What does out side of unit look like, any dents on it, what's bumper and doors look like. Check under for leaks, engine , transmission, rear end. If you buy it how much is going to pay you. I would need a $1.75 per mile, how much is D time, inside delivery , white glove services , tolls, hotel rooms for over night. How old is van and how many miles on it. Does it have any warranty left on it. Is Sprinter gas or diesel ,

olie

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
one thing with the sprinters Not every mercedes shop can fix em like a ford or a promaster can be fixed at any stealership

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is he going to sell it official, or take it off your pay?

I might do this if it isnt a legal bill of sale, but a rent to own PAID FOR BY HIM. In other words, fine you'll take the sprinter off his hands if he gives you the work to pay for it (paying you more in the end than you could make on your own) this way you can bail if it gets sketchy

Our fleet is half sprinters / half transit / occasional promaster.

They all roughly last the same because of the ridiculous crap done to make diesel sprinters clean. Our company loves them because once you have a loan, you are desperate and captive; and when they explode and need an $18,000 engine you are even more desperate and captive.

Otherwise I'll keep this short - I have a sprinter in my driveway and I've been passing it every day for the last year and a half for an E250.

Cheap, reliable, dirt cheap parts

(Ya 48" tall. I've been asked twice in that time and said no for height - your situation may need "Ford Transit" high roof to replace "Ford E250" it's an example)

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Diesel sprinter are to expensive to maintain.
Get a gas Ford transit and laugh at him....you won't be spending $1000 to get brakes done or the diesel particle filter cleaned.

Reactions: Opel2010 and olie