Border-Crossings

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hear many a driver say how much they dislike coming to Canada and Canada to the U.S. But I was wondering what exactly are the reasons for such opinions? Flag waving and like aside, just the facts. Is it just the wait time? or the rules and regulations here? Be specific.:)
as I am a coffee guy...
My beef is Tim Hortons 1.14U.S for the same size I get here for 1.29Can with Exchange is approx. 1.69 Can. and donuts are the same price here and there! WITHOUT the exchange figured in! Wow, Corporate America is giving you's no breaks at all.

Dkalasz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
have nothing against canada personally.. but I dont run freight there anymore.. No pay for the wait time.. rude agents at customs . customs brokers that could care less that you get paid my the mile not the hr. ..thats just going into canada.

Comeing back into the US with freight i find to be even more horrid are customs agents are generally vindictive to the extreme. not to mention the last load i did there was a 5 MILE backup into windsor before i even hit the bridge.. so basically i spent hrs just trying to get back empty..

now just so you dont think i am a rude driver earning the bs i get heres how i deal with everyone at customs.. a smile and a yes sir /maam.. and I firmly believe this has cut down somewhat but christ there rude no matter what you do

gump

Expert Expediter
not to mention the fact you get in big trouble if you fill a form out wrong or have wrong outdated form or get fine if some how a form gets misplaced....ive heard a few stories that make me a little nervious

gump

Expert Expediter
not to mention the fact i get hooked on putting vinegar on my freedom fries and have to go to detox to get the vinegar monkey off my back.
do they test for vinegar when u do the dot pee test?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
gump its called BYOV!! I have to remember theres no such thing down their! Ketchup rules on my Freedom fries!

jersey geoff

Expert Expediter
While standing in line at customs another driver asked if I like Canada,I replied nothing but :censoredsign:s and hockey,he said my wifes a Canadian,I said what teams she play for?

BULLRUSH

Expert Expediter
I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH CANADA.I DID GET PISSED OF AT CUSTOMS ONCE (LIVINGSTON)I FAX ALL THE PAPERWORK OVER THERE EARLIER IN THE DAY WITH AN (ETA)TIME AND CALLED THEM ABOUT AN HOUR BEFORE I WAS TO CROSS THE AMBASS- BRIDGE IN WINDSOR AND SHE SAID EVERYTHING WAS OK AND I WOULD BE CLEARED BY THE TIME I CROSSED. I ENDED UP HAVING TO GO TO CUSTOMS AND WAS TOLD THEY DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO PROCESS MY PAPER WORK. 3.5 HOURS LATER I WAS ON MY WAY. PS DOES THE 401 FROM WINDSOR TO TRONTO SEEMED TO BE GETTING LONGER EVERY YEAR????.x(

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
now it may JUST be a rumor...note the no U...but I hear that Ontario Van man crosses the border with ease cuz his wife fills out his paperwork! *l*

jujubeans:7

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My only gripe is the wait time,and this usually was the fault of the broker. I have no problem when it comes to security-related delays. Last few times thru,took over 3 hours. Of course there is no compensation for this time. If your on a long run,now you have to fudge your log book to make up the time. I have had several experiences lately with PARS. After faxing paper work and verifying that the fax was recieved, it still wasn't ready when I got there. (Made sure to send fax with enough time to get it processed).There was a post on this subject not too long ago. My solution is to charge the shipper wait time and consider it a cost of importing,no matter which way it is going. They have the power to have things change,and when it hits them in the pocket book they will.All our complaining,although justified, wont change any thing.

rt trucker

Expert Expediter
I don't like the idea that now we have to pay $50 to do the FAST. Just another way to fleece the drivers.

RT Trucker :(

Freight_Shaker

Expert Expediter
I cross the border weekly seeing as I'm canadian and the only thing thsat is a pain is the long waits other than that i have no problems:):):)

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I myself have never had a problem going to Canada. I used to think that the only people who griped were the ones who didn't want to mess with the paperwork.

I haven't been to Canada since 9-11-01 now. Not because I hate Canada or anything like that. I just don't want the anal probe when I come back accross into the United States. I am not crazy about the wait on the Ambassdor bridge. (It scares me to feel it shake underneath me. And to think it was built 70 years ago by the lowest bidder :+ )

I actually miss going up there. I used to love going to the Filthy wheel in Milton. I would get up in the morning and buy a copy of the Sun and read it in the morning with my coffee. The people there were so friendly I felt at home. I also miss Poutine too! :p And I have been going through Timmys withdrawl too!

I am going to Chatham Ontario with my lodge in May. I can't wait. I think it will be fun going up in a bus for once and let someone else deal with the driving! I am going to drink my weight in Molson and eat poutine until it comes out my ears! :7