Canada Border Crossing

G

Can someone explain the border crossing into Canada? What paperwork does the driver need, does the company who ownes the vehicle need to do anything special and does the shipper need to do anything? Also what paperwork is needed and what kind of premium should I charge to go into Canada.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Depends what you are hauling in.The most important document is a Canadian Customs Invoice describing the material and the value of the product.You will most likely be using a customs broker on the Canadaian side so you will need to fill out what is known as a A8SA form before you get to the border.This form will get you from the border crossing to the broker.The broker will then classify the freight and guarantee that the duty will be paid,then send you back to the customs facility where you will hand in your papers and wait to be called. Auto parts move differently,they used to use a special form and now they like what they call fast clearance.This needs to get approval up front that the shipper,you and the consignee are Fast qualified. Some parts go in what is called Bond to a facility other then the border,when this happens a seal will be installed on the truck and you will have to clear wherever the consignee wants you to.Make sure you have something that lets the world know you are a US citizen such as a voter registration,passport etc. If you bring a load back into the states you will need a Inbound US Customs manifest,the shipper should supply that.
No weapons on board ,no booze on board,be polite as possible and you should be ok.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Another scenario is when you just drive through Canada in order to save miles.Example would be to load in Buffalo and deliver in Detroit,by going through Ontario you would save miles plus a little bit on the tolls.To do this you need a In Transit Manifest,when you arrive at the border they will put a seal on your back door(Don!t know what happens to vans) and you will go through ,and surrender your paperwork at the Canadian exit port and the US Entry side.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Can someone explain the border crossing into Canada? What
>paperwork does the driver need, does the company who ownes
>the vehicle need to do anything special and does the shipper
>need to do anything? Also what paperwork is needed and what
>kind of premium should I charge to go into Canada.

This is a very interesting question:
I'm not sure,childsafe, whether you are inquiring as a "leased operator" or as a "for hire carrier".
If you are running as a Leased Operator you would run under the Leasing carrier's authority. You would be using their Carrier Code for example.
If however, you are planning to be the "Carrier" there are things you will need. You must apply to the Canada Border Services Agency for a Carrier Code. This identifies you to the CSBA and allows them to trace your shipments for any carrier infringements so they can assess penalties if necessary.
You must get PARS stickers, from an approved printer in the approved format so the CBSA readers can "read" them.
If you are a "leased Operator" or a driver for a "Leased Operator" driving for a company you must have these to attach to the invoices.Get them from the Carrier.

Driver's Paperwork: You must carry papers that show who you are and that you are authorized to drive the vehicle. You will be subjected to a criminal search, those with a criminal record can be denied entry into Canada as you are entering for business purposes.

Shipper:
The shipper must provide you with a true and accurate count of all goods loaded on your commercial vehicle. If you arrive to haul, as an example, 200 boxes on 5 skids, there must be 200 boxes. NOT 202 or 197.

If the Shipper loads and seals your vehicle without allowing you to observe this, mark the bill of lading:
SHIPPERS LOAD COUNT AND SEAL and have the shipper sign this.
Make them take the responsibility and make them pay any AMPS penalties.

The shipper will provide you with an invoice describing the goods:
Quantity, description, value, Country of Origin.

You attach your PARS stickers and fax this invoice to the Canadian Customs Broker. You must be told which Broker the shipper or the receiver uses. You must send this a minimum of 2 1/2 hours before you cross.

Go to the correct border crossing: if you are told to cross at Port Huron - Sarnia go there, not Detroit - Windsor.

Premium?
If you are a driver or Leased Operator how can you charge the Carrier a premium?
If you are a Carrier, will the shipper pay a premium?
That's up to you.

I hope this answers some of your questions.
I did not cover BOnded Operations in this message. That is a separate topic.

I'll look back here over the next few days to see if you have others.

Drive Safe(ly)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
PARS stickers are not a requirement. They are for line release. You have the option of going to the broker and going through the procedure of clearing the freight. I do beleive I've seen on the forum that Childsafe has his own authority and will need to get his carrier code.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>PARS stickers are not a requirement. They are for line
>release. You have the option of going to the broker and
>going through the procedure of clearing the freight.

Highwaystar and others:

While PARS is not the only way to clear shipments, it is the standard for at the border. FAST shipments are a different issue as all concerned:
Importer
Exporter
Carrier
Driver
all have to be CSA approved.
No one other than the automotive companies are rushing for CSA approval.

The CBSA is looking to reduce the paper burden. If you want to park your truck, take the papers to the broker, have the broker prepare an entry, take it to Customs, submit it to Customs, wait for Customs to make a release or examination decision and then be notified that the shipment is released that's your perogative.
Be prepared for a long wait and a high probability that your load will be called for exam.
I don't know too many drivers who WANT to go through this rigamorole after sitting in a line up to get across the Bridge. Sometimes it is unavoidable.

What about EDI?
Are you prepared to move the information around in an EDI enviroment?
That's the next thing in the pipe line.

As far as Rich's "IN BOND" movement, that is a system for Canada Customs Bonded Carriers. The Bond must be posted in the approved amount for an entire fleet.
Once a carrier has posted a Canada Customs bond, it can be used to take a shipment to an Inland Sufference Warehouse or through Canada to points in the States. Buffalo to Detroit through Ontario is a common route.

Drive Safe(ly)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
CSA is only for freight going into Canada. It has nothing to do with freight going into the U.S. Carriers and drivers need to be approved to do it and it is mostly for automotive production freight at this point, but it is my understanding that other common, routine shipments would qualify for CSA. Shippers need no special approval to participate. When CSA was started, the Canadian government wanted to do it jointly with the U.S. But the rocket scientists in Washington declined. Then we had 9/11. Thats when FAST came about and as stated in the previous post, all involved must be pre-approved to ship into the U.S. The FAST card can be used instead of the CSA card going into Canada and eventually the CSA card will go away and there will only be one card. Even though the card is the same, the procedures are different. When you go into Canada with a CSA shipment, you have cards that identify your company and the company recieving the shipment to go along with your FAST or CSA card. No pre-notification is needed. FAST shipments into the U.S. need pre-notification by way of EDI. Your company should do that for you when you load the freight.