Bo...

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Alright, yes it is sad.BUT...I think he just couldn't bear to see those wolverines lose what may be the biggest game ever in College football history.......GO BUCKS!!!!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I have to agree... not about losing the game, but the game being too much for his heart to take. He was all about that school... almost like a living god there.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
RE: Bo... AP report

Sad to see the man pass. Love him, or hate him, he motivated his players, and gave us some of the most unforgettable games. The local channel was playing a retrospective tonight, with him commenting. He definately had a love for the game. His rivalry with his friend and mentor Woody Hayes during 1969-78 is legendary.

Coach Tressel said it best today: ""This is an extraordinary loss for college football,Bo Schembechler touched the lives of many people and made the game of football better in every way. He will always be both a Buckeye and a Wolverine and our thoughts are with all who grieve his loss."

From the AP Report:

CBNNews.com - ANN ARBOR, Mich. - Bo Schembechler, who became one of college football's great coaches in two decades at Michigan, died Friday after taping a TV show on the eve of the Wolverines' No. 1 vs. No. 2 showdown with perennial rival Ohio State. He was 77.

Schembechler collapsed at the studios at WXYZ-TV in the Detroit suburb of Southfield and was taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital. His death at 11:42 a.m. was confirmed by Mike Dowd, chief investigator for the medical examiner's office in Oakland County.

Schembechler was born April 1, 1929 in Barberton, Ohio. He graduated in 1951 from Miami of Ohio and earned a master's degree in 1952 at Ohio State, where he served until 1953 as a graduate assistant under Woody Hayes.

After serving in the Army, Schembechler held assistant coaching jobs at Presbyterian College in 1954 and Bowling Green in 1955, then joined Ara Parseghian's staff at Northwestern in 1958 before returning to Ohio State as an assistant to Hayes.

Schembechler was named head coach at Miami in 1963, winning two Mid-American Conference titles in six seasons. In 1969, he took over a Michigan program that had posted six losing seasons over the previous 11 years. He did not have a losing season at either school.

Schembechler worked as an ABC Sports football broadcaster and analyst in 1991-92 and was a popular motivational speaker for many years.

Schembechler was inducted into the Miami University Hall of Fame in 1972, the State of Michigan Sports Hall of Fame in 1989, the University of Michigan Hall of Honor in 1992, the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame in 1993 and the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame in 1993.

Bo and Millie Schembechler had one son, Glenn III. Schembechler and his second wife, Cathy, married in 1993.

It will definately cast a shadow on an otherwise excellent game.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
RE: Bo... AP report

Bo WAS Michigan football. ESPN said that Michigan/Ohio State was the greatest rivalry in college football. The greatest years of that were Schembechler/Hayes, IMHO. I would suspect we'll see an inspired Michigan team today.