BIG TRUCK... little truck?

Flunky

Expert Expediter
I am currently an OTR driver class A cdl with HAZ.

as i see more and more expeditors running around im considering going into that field. I know that right now i gross about $800+ a wk but never can get a D unit(i think lol straight truck) truck to answer me on the radio.

could any of you tell me if im better off where i am draggin' around a 53' dry van or get into a 6wheeler? i live about 2 hours from Panthers main office so naturally i was thinking about driving with them.

the upside i can see is it would be MUCH MUCH easier to find parking in crowded truck stops and places like chicago would be much more plesant.. ever tried to back a 53' into an enclosed dock with cars parked on both sides of the street *uuugggghhhhhhhhh*

thanks for the info
*stay safe*
Mike

coldstart

Expert Expediter
If you live that close to Panther I wouldn't consider anyone else. Panther is right at the top of the heap. Talk to Panther, maybe they can shed some light on the matter since they do big and small rigs. I think you will find the pay the same no matter what you choose.;-)

Tbigtruck

Expert Expediter
Stay with the 53'! Expediting used to be a booming business, but is steadily going down hill. I'm speaking from experience... I'm a former Panther driver.

witchita

Expert Expediter
Living close is a bonus but doesn't mean they will keep you happy! I too have drug a 53' around this land of ours and given the "druthers" am pretty sure I'd stay with the 53'..possibly with EITHER venue. I have also worked it in some tight places and know exactly what you mean as far as wknd/friday night parking,being at the truck stops'mercy,etc.. the stress relief is great when it comes to parking and access- but D-units get towed too(and sit alot more)! The only way to make decent money at either is to #1-run your OWN truck with the dicsipline to do it right! Alot of middle men will try to sell you on running their equipment and the fact that you don't need the headaches etc.. but if it weren't profitable why are they doing what they're doing?? After its all said and done the 53' will come to more $$ because the miles just aren't there in exped.(even though they pay more).
You can run a 53' for an expeditor and do well, solo or team; about the same money (or more) and a little less work- as E units move well. Might explain why some of the common carriers are offering time sensitive expedited service now!
The current exped. companies cannot compete with Team Werner,J.B.hunt, Saia,or others for truck availability or pricing; using solos when needed and teams for just that, TEAM RUNS. Current exped. co's. are running teams on 5-300 mile runs a week according to what I read on this forum earlier(of corse not ALL,but??)!What will happen to exped. in the next year if this trend continues..?!?! Obviously teams are where the money is if you can do it, but not if all you're given is SOLO WORK!(jeez I still can't believe it..5-300 mile runs in 5 days for a team!) If you are a solo, the Big Rig is the only way to go as I see it,team too(try it exped. but knowing you have an option to switch back over if it doesn't work out...6 wheelers don't have that option)if you don't want to increase your odds of failing.It's hard enough without being programmed to fall on your sword. Just an opinion and not meant to offend any one or company, just the facts as I understand them to be. Hope this helps and best of weather and roads to all.

Keep it between the lines and take care of each other.

poodlenme

Expert Expediter
I would highly recommend you stay with a big truck. I worked with Panther for a year and a half. They are the best expediter company out there! But you will sit alot! It is just the way it is with expediting. After christimas expect it to be slow, very slow. Better have cash stored. It picks up in April or so. Its is really hard to get a reputable owner. The thing that is unfortunate is you have absolutely no rights as a independant contractor. None! I have almost 4 years exp. and I am a honest and dependable driver. I drove for 4 owners. None of them paid me what they owed me. Times are tough, and honest drivers are hard to find. It makes sense that if you are honest and want to keep a driver happy you will pay what you owe them. Not always so. As an independant all you can do is take them to small claims court. Horror stories on both sides. Drivers not taking loads. going home to often. wrecking and abandoning equip. It is a two way street. If the owner decides not to pay you, u dont get paid. If they dont have the money to pay for repairs, the truck sits with you in it. Unless you can find a way home by yourself. If the owner promises to repay tolls and doesnt. You dont get them. I would recommend buying your own truck. Then you can be you own boss. But, auctually drivng for a big truck company. 53 foot vans. You have rights, insurance, dental etc. I think the companies should get involved in non payment issues with drivers. It doesnt matter how wonderful an expediter company is...if the owner of the truck doesnt take care of his responsibilty toward their drivers, they really dont have any options but to quit. And believe me I got out of expedting and got me a real job. I loved the travel and driving the little trucks, they are a blast compared to the big ones. I drove a tractor trailer for a year and a half too. But, they are too darn big. I hate truck stops, Too expensive. Thats why they are so expensive because they know the big rigs cant go anywhere else. Excpt wally world. Good luck and to make it short and sweet. If you want to expedite. Its a blast> but safe yourself alot of grief and buy yourself a truck. Then if something goes wrong, you can blame yourself. At least you will always get paid!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Poodlenme

The ways I sees it..Owners will be a thing of the past cause I think rates have room to drop again ( here in Ontario different marketforces at work )from an independent point of view, I'll end up driving more for less unfortunately! There is little profit margin for owners now after all the expenses ESPECIALLY if they pay their drivers a decent wage. Owners will go the way of the dino's. Just my personal opinion of course time will be the judge.

P.S. Teacel you didn't answer my post in the other topic? from expo 2003

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Why not have the best of both worlds, and pull you a 45 or 48 but lease on with Panther as a Tractor Trailer driver? The money is better then conventional trucking. They are always looking for big trucks. May be worth looking into.

OntarioVanMan:
If you are talking about the directions to my place, they are following this in an email. Thanks for the reminder!