Beware the 407

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Just got a bill in the mail for this summer's drive on the 407 just north of Toronto.
The amount was $10.70 for 14 km, about 8 1/2 miles. It will probably be more after they add charges for using a US check.

Don't think I will do that again.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just got a bill in the mail for this summer's drive on the 407 just north of Toronto.
The amount was $10.70 for 14 km, about 8 1/2 miles. It will probably be more after they add charges for using a US check.

Don't think I will do that again.

It used to be that a US resident could not get a transponder for that road, but if you go to the website now, it is possible. I am pondering getting one of them, I do go to the GTA a few times a month.

But if you don't have a transponder, change your GPS to avoid toll roads as soon as you cross the border, and you have to wait until after you cross the border to change it.....try plotting a route to Toronto and avoid toll roads altogether.... you will get a good laugh.....

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Around here, my GPS will try to get me to use the Skyway whenever possible. I think Garmin must be in the pay of the tollway people. Note that I will NOT use the Skyway unless there's no other choice, a more expensive Chicago-area tollway does not exist.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Around here, my GPS will try to get me to use the Skyway whenever possible. I think Garmin must be in the pay of the tollway people. Note that I will NOT use the Skyway unless there's no other choice, a more expensive Chicago-area tollway does not exist.

I second that

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It used to be that a US resident could not get a transponder for that road, but if you go to the website now, it is possible. I am pondering getting one of them, I do go to the GTA a few times a month.

But if you don't have a transponder, change your GPS to avoid toll roads as soon as you cross the border, and you have to wait until after you cross the border to change it.....try plotting a route to Toronto and avoid toll roads altogether.... you will get a good laugh.....

It may not be worth your time....there was and still might be monthly account fee...was $1.00 a month....since most of you guys go to Honda Alliston.....simple....401 east to 400 north...not much easier then that.....

oh yeah....some of you guys don't have a rear license plate...that is a no no.....must be front and back....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I grew up blocks from where the Skyway meets the Indiana Tollroad.

Rumor has it that the Real Mayor Daley wanted it built to speed up his trips to the Daley Vacation Home in SW Michigan.

I guess there's a reason for everything.
At least in Chicago.

Last edited: