Best/Worst years of Hino ?

karleric

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Hello !

I've searched the internet to find the best/worst years of Hino in terms of reliability but couldn't find much. I did found a few threads being answered by hino mechanics on here which is great ! I think my question will also benefit a lot of others so thanks in advance !

We've owned 4 Hinos FB1817 (1998,1999,2002 and 2004) for around 15 years now and found them really realiable but they no! However , they are now at 400k+ km and getting pretty rusty and i've read that Hino will stop making trucks I would like to buy newer Hinos. I've heard lots of bad things about the new DPF and DEF systems.

(Our trucks have 20 foot dry boxes on them and can be driven by anyone, its the regular liscence)

Here it is :
Could you please tell me which years of hinos are the least reliable and which are the more reliable ?

In what year hino started putting DPF on trucks ?
Did it take a few years for these dpf systems to be reliable ?
Do specific years have specific problems ?
Is there a few years to avoid ?

Thanks a lot !

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
2005-2007 are desirable if you can find them in good condition. No aftertreatment. Injector health wasn't as important. Everything past 2007 suffers when the injectors degrade.

2008-2010 added a DPF. There are semi-frequent complaints about low power during regen. There is lots of discussion here on how to fix the various causes.

2011-2014 had a burner system for DPF heating. Initially they were very unreliable, but an igniter recall and a few rounds of computer updates made them a lot better. The burner needs routine maintenance. There are several failure points with the burners, so whoever is working on them should have some experience.
2015-2021 got away from the burner and uses a 7th injector instead. This setup is proving more reliable than the burner setup.

In 2011 they added DEF to all trucks. There's an ongoing campaign to replace earlier Def injectors with better ones. NOx sensor failures are fairly common.

Of course there's much more to it than that but those are the major changes in a nutshell.

Reactions: Hino123

natsys

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Catching up on unread posts.....

I haven't heard of that campaign, but a quick Google search says it's a recall for specific trucks.

How can I find out if mine is effected?

natsys

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just PM'd you.

Yesterday, the CEL came on about 10 miles into a 120 mile round trip. While it showed no fault after shutting off the engine, the CEL remained and it came back on the return trip. P204F is showing but it seems that can be a lot of things, including the DEF injector. But at least for now, it isn't something that is derating the engine.