Best way to lift the front end of a box truck?

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter
I bought a set of brand new stainless steel wheel covers off ebay for $23!! Anyway...what is the best way to lift up the front end to install them? Since I paid 20 bucks for them, dont want to pay a shop $50-$100 to install them. Is there a safe place on the truck for me to lift it with a fork life? I only have covers for the front wheels. Could I lift one corner at a time with a forklift? The whole truck weighs 14,000 pounds and I have a 6000 forklift, so the weight should be no problem. Just concerned if there is easy frame access to get a good solid lift point. Thanks.

2 1999 Sterling Semis
2000 Ford F650 24ft box truck
Now hiring driver in Cleveland, Ohio area.

G

Well, I always just run the forks right the grill till I hit something solid and give 'er a lift. You should be able to get both sides at once this way :).

Seriously, I've never used or seen a fork lift used for this. Probably can be done though. I've always used a bottle jack or floor jack under the front axle. One side at a time. If the jack is strong enough, it stands to reason you could balance the weight and have both front tires off the ground at once. Mine is not that strong :).

Sorry for the fun...just had to do it :+ ,

Arky

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter
I think I'll try the floor jack first =) I have a 4k pound one and a 6k pound one, maybe both at once will do the trick. I've seen people use a forklift with smaller trucks like a 3500 chevy box truck or a F350.

2 1999 Sterling Semis
2000 Ford F650 24ft box truck
Now hiring driver in Cleveland, Ohio area.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Run your fork under the truck and spread the forks to hit the frame when lifted. Put a block of wood on each fork using the wood as a spacer and try lifting the truck this way.