Best and worst roadside service repairs. The companies and the experience you had!

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Just curious on your roadside service repairs experiences. Best and worst repair companies out there and where they are located. I have had $200 repairs turn into $3300. repairs and had a company come out with a oversize crane and for 3hrs of service only charge $200. Thanks in advance!

outandbout

Active Expediter
Re: Best and worst roadside service repairs. The companies and the experience you had

Just curious on your roadside service repairs experiences. Best and worst repair companies out there and where they are located. I have had $200 repairs turn into $3300. repairs and had a company come out with a oversize crane and for 3hrs of service only charge $200. Thanks in advance!

Two years ago in April, I had a flat tire in Florence, SC and it was raining horribly.
I got on Craig's List and found a guy to come to the Best Buy (he said he was around the corner) and change with my spare for only $25.

On the phone quote he said, "Since it's raining, I will need $25."

So, I would definitely check with Craig's List.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
Re: Best and worst roadside service repairs. The companies and the experience you had

once had a waterpumped replaced when under a load for panther ending up costing over 5k
someplace in VA about 12 years ago.weekend load towed to a shop parts truck had to go two different places then come back with the wrong one so had to go to a 3rd place out of state to finally get the right one.

tryhours3191

Seasoned Expediter
C & K Road Service Oklahoma City. His guys will do work on the side of the road that alot shops will send you to the dealer for and for about 70 bucks an hour too. Four Stars

Sent from my DROID RAZR

rkenner

Active Expediter

I use NTTSBreakdown.com for my repair calls for trucks, and usually start with the closes and has big picture ads first and work my way down. Anyway, I had a 2007 Freightliner tractor no start condition in Cleveland, Oh. once at about 10 pm one night. Thank got we weren't on a load, but I called several people and surprising nobody had parts except these guys:
UnitedTT.JPG

The mechanic comes out and says that the soleoid fried, we need the whole starter. I say okay, lets do it.. simple enough. Parts and labor with call out fee and everything was $1500 bucks, more than I anticipated by atleast $500.00. So the truck gets rolling down the road over the next week, and then in Alabama, the starter won't start again. Take it to the Freightliner dealer, they say that the ground wire on the starter wasn't secured tightly causing the wire to short out and fry, we need to replace that part of the harness and the starter. Now, I call the company and tell them this and that the total is $800 bucks parts and labor, the owner said his mechanics have never messed up anything before, he will not warranty anything, and its IMPOSSIBLE that this happened. I was furious. I am very mechanically inclined, and can understand how the wire can seem fully bottomed out, and to prevent from overtightening the nut on the wire and spinning the stud causing a bad connection internally, only tightening so much when the wire is actually crooked on the threads of the stud. I have done it myself on vehciles of many sizes, starters are all the same. But to try to convince me that its IMPOSSIBLE, and not even consider its 1 week after the install, and then hang up and not answer the phone or return any calls, Yeah. I would STRONGLY suggest against these guys.

I have many more stories like this. But this is a recent rediculous one that comes to mind. I wont post any here unless I have WHO it was that did it. And I WILL put them on blast lol.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter

I try and get it all in writing BEFORE anything is done, once I stopped at a Penske shop to have some leaks in my roof fixed, the two CLERKS or ILLEGALS, or MORONs who were working there climb up on the roof of my truck and are attempting to drive a large Aluminum rivet into the Front Aluminum Header the Roof is attached too, After using the Buck hammer, and hitting it, and hitting it, and hitting it, and hammering it, I said, you know that rivet needs a backing bar for it to compress and be tight.....They both looked at me like I had spoken Klingon....ACH BIT DOK KLIK TO.....after about a half hour a supervisor comes out and says HEY YOU A$$HOLE'S YOUVE GOT TO USE A BACKING BAR FOR THAT TO COMPRESS......I just looked at the guy and said good thing Im not here for an Oil Change huh !!!!