Below Standards Truck Stops

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Fredricksburg VA Exit 133 I-95. This place was so awfull, I would rather stay in a Rest Area.

Bathrooms Gross, no professional cleaning staff
Food Expensive I am talking $12.00 for hamburger steak, and a salad water to drink.
Parking lot has no trash cans so much for a clean back yard A.

I needed a shower but fuel prices were .18 higher than in Richmond and you had to buy 75 gallons not 50. Since the bathrooms were so impressive I decided I could stand myself one more day.

If you have a positive expirence please post it City, State. Hwy exit # and your comments there is another thread for Good Truck Stops. Negatives can go on this thread is this OK Leonard?

P.S. wait staff friendly, fuel station.... I had to send a fax and a guy came up to change a $50.00 for Poker machine. Attendant grumbled go to restaurant, he informed her they sent him here. He walked away and she made another comment about spending $. I told her stay away from Poker machines and youll save a ton. Her reaction (some people smoke, others drink, some fool around on there wives.) I looked back at her and said I suppose you do them all. Driver behind me almost fell to the floor laughing, but I was not kidding.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That place is a real dump. Go a little bit further south to Exit 104 ,there is a decent Petro and Flying J and a Pilot there. There is also a good TA at exit 92 in Ashland where you can park up front with no problems.

Tennesee Trash

Expert Expediter
Broompilot I can definitely relate as I had the misfortune to be in Tennessee on a slow weekend and decided to leave Chattanooga and go north to see old friends in Cleveland ,Tn. The only close truck stop was at exit 33 /I-75 in Charleston, TN. I should've known not to pull in as soon as I saw the gravel lot and dust flying from exiting trucks. It was rutty , potholed and generally in bad shape. I was even less impressed once I went inside to get a drink . I entered and there was a very unpleasant smell and it didn't get any better as I went towards the cooler. I finally decided I couldn't take it any more so I left. As I was leaving I ask the clerk if they had a problem with their plumbing and she said no, why? I mentioned about the foul smell and she said she couldn't smell anything.
I will never go there again even for fuel.I did go to a rest stop for the night and glad I did.
I would never recommend this place to anyone. This is my opinion and you can judge for yourself.
Larry Tn/ Trash

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
exit 54 on I-95 in VA is a good place, I'm starting to stop there more and more on my DC and NYC runs. it's kinda a funny loop off that exit, but there's a Kangaroo fuel stop (no truck nozzles), but good fuel prices (2.17 on 4-3-05). Good fuel prices "sometimes" make filling up the pool with a garden hose worth it in this time and age. There's a mall there by the Golden Corral too & McDonalds, go right at the light for Kangaroo, and right at the next light for McDonalds & GC (Golden Corral) and the mall.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Hey T Trash, I stayed there once. I think we are talking same place. It was near Cleveland Tn and had the gravel lot and bad odor. They also sold fireworks if it is the same place. I think the once I am talking about was called something like BigBobs. I also found it to be funny that they sold gas, diesel, fireworks all in one hole.

I have to admit I don't do much truck stopping. I fuel and shower and that is about it. I keep almost evrything I need for food in the truck. I normally do my sleeping at a parking area or rest area and then move on. I am not bothered as much by the nasty upkeep as I am by the young hot shot TT drivers that just can not stand us. Since I would just as soon beat the s%$^ out of them as listen to them it is best I move on. I have not been in trouble for beating a smart a$$ TT driver for almost 30 years and need to keep it that way. I could not possibly take todays anger management courses. :)

I do always stay at the flying hook up on s80 right there at Toledo. You can park upfront and I always meet other expediters there. It is actually enjoyable. That is about the only one I spend any real time at.

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
2 years OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1
Father of 4 children
Grandfather of 1 boy
3 years without full use of my mind