Becoming a fleet owner

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The FSC is paying for 100% of the fuel with the carrier we both work for... whoever takes the FSC pays for the fuel and is fully reimbursed by the FSC. Have you looked at a settlement statement lately???

Why?......I don't get your direction....you thinking the driver gets too good a deal and you want 20% of that?.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why?......I don't get your direction....you thinking the driver gets too good a deal and you want 20% of that?.....

Being an owner a 1 man pony show...I don't concern myself with FSC over here...not like with E-1....as long as the TOTAL rate matches MY magic number, the FSC could be a .01 for all I care....

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
The FSC is paying for 100% of the fuel with the carrier we both work for... whoever takes the FSC pays for the fuel and is fully reimbursed by the FSC. Have you looked at a settlement statement lately???

I would go less than 60% to the driver if they got 100% of the fsc and that covered 100% of the fuel in the truck, however, here at FDCC fsc is around 28-32cpm. It cost around 35-42cpm to fuel this truck I'm in depending on the cost of fuel. Netting a difference of around 10cpm. With that being the case I would give the driver the additional 20% and 100% of fsc if he covered fuel. I'm undecided about tolls.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would go less than 60% to the driver if they got 100% of the fsc and that covered 100% of the fuel in the truck, however, here at FDCC fsc is around 28-32cpm. It cost around 35-42cpm to fuel this truck I'm in depending on the cost of fuel. Netting a difference of around 10cpm. With that being the case I would give the driver the additional 20% and 100% of fsc if he covered fuel. I'm undecided about tolls.

some details depends on the carrier as well...Load 1 pays 100% of tolls as well....If say Westy here supplied the EZ pass then he should get the 100% of tolls...

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Being an owner a 1 man pony show...I don't concern myself with FSC over here...not like with E-1....as long as the TOTAL rate matches MY magic number, the FSC could be a .01 for all I care....

As a single truck owner I feel as you do. I don't really take fsc into account as much as total pay per mile. I am a couple months off from owning 2 trucks and I need to start thinking about how to handle these things. I'm really struggling with do I pay fuel or let the driver do it.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
why complicate things?.....a straight 60/40...and 50/50 on D-Time...
That's an easy question... the guy paying the fuel cares how he uses it but if a driver isn't paying for fuels he's probably tearing up the truck and blowing raw fuel out the tailpipe!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
some details depends on the carrier as well...Load 1 pays 100% of tolls as well....If say Westy here supplied the EZ pass then he should get the 100% of tolls...
Westy supplies an EZpass, Espar, generator, air conditioning, and a properly insulated new van.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
It easy to question an owner when you don't have skin in the owner game... until you've been an owner WITH drivers driving your equipment you can't really speak with experience. If you can buy trucks and give drivers a better deal, please do so!!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
40% for the driver, 20% for fuel, 40% for the owner... same as your 60/40 or 40/60 depending on who's buying the fuel.

So you want to keep 40% of the fsc without paying any of the fuel costs. I've been warned about contracts like that.

Round numbers for easy arithmetic $2 per loaded mile plus .40fsc

60/40... $1.60 and .80

40/20/40 $1.44 and .96

Certainly that's appealing if you are the owner and getting 96cpm without doing anything other than arithmetic to earn the extra 16cpm. It just doesn't seem fair to me just like it doesn't seem fair for the owner to keep any hand load money unless he happened to be on the same dock doing his 1/3 of the loading.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
so you want to keep 40% of the fsc without paying any of the fuel costs. I've been warned about contracts like that.

Round numbers for easy arithmetic $2 per loaded mile plus .40fsc

60/40... $1.60 and .80

40/20/40 $1.44 and .96

certainly that's appealing if you are the owner and getting 96cpm without doing anything other than arithmetic to earn the extra 16cpm. It just doesn't seem fair to me just like it doesn't seem fair for the owner to keep any hand load money unless he happened to be on the same dock doing his 1/3 of the loading.
you arent paying attention! Read my post again!

Try 50/50 of the load THEN 100% of the FSC to whoever pays for the fuel!

Your math is like that darn Canadian!!! Exactly how is $1.60 and $0.80 equalling 60/40??? I'm stone sober and it looks like 67/33 to me!!!

60/40 of your simple $2.40 total IS $1.44/$0.96!!!

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If a team can't buy their own fuel they can't be considered as far as I'm concerned. If I pay fuel they won't care how fast they drive or how much they idle and may even offer to fill someone else's truck at a discount for cash. If there isn't foolishness involved with speed or idling etc. the 60% plus 100% fsc side can come out a little ahead usually but I'll give that up to avoid the potential big losses of paying someone else's fuel.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was paying attention and did the arithmetic based on the total pay as per my example. $2 load pay plus 40cpm fsc is $2.40. I did make the presumption your 40/20/40 was based on the total pay, in this case $2.40. If so, it works out as the arithmetic shows. If that's not how it works you'll have to explain better.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
If a team can't buy their own fuel they can't be considered as far as I'm concerned. If I pay fuel they won't care how fast they drive or how much they idle and may even offer to fill someone else's truck at a discount for cash. If there isn't foolishness involved with speed or idling etc. the 60% plus 100% fsc side can come out a little ahead usually but I'll give that up to avoid the potential big losses of paying someone else's fuel.

That's my concern. I actually know a driver that did just that. He'd fill your vehicle for 1/2 the price if u let him pay with his company fuel card. He ended up getting busted for this but it costs the company thousands of dollars. I guess it's not worth the risk. Idk. I'm still a little torn on what to do. I'm nervous about the whole endeavor to begin with.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I was paying attention and did the arithmetic based on the total pay as per my example. $2 load pay plus 40cpm fsc is $2.40. I did make the presumption your 40/20/40 was based on the total pay, in this case $2.40. If so, it works out as the arithmetic shows. If that's not how it works you'll have to explain better.
No, your Canadian math is wrong. Total pay of $2.40 split 40/20/40 IS .96/.48/.96 cents.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I would NEVER pay drivers 60% of the load AND 100% of the fuel surcharge and all accessorials... being left with the truck payments and maintenance and more! If there are owners out there that do that I'd like to drive for them!!!

Any driver that would accept less than 60% and fuel surcharge is not going to be worth having,cause that is the going rate. Or 40% and owner pays fuel.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here's the math I used.

60/40 = 60% of load pay, in this case $2, plus 100% fsc., in this case .40cpm. So 60% of $2 is $1.20 plus fsc = $1.60 to the fuel side and .80 to the non-fuel side.

40/20/40 I understood to be based on total pay, in this case $2.40. That breaks down to .96/.48/.96 which is $1.44 to the fuel paying side and .96 to the non-fuel side. Just like my correct Texas math showed.

We could make it even a little bit worse by going with your last suggestion of 50/50 then add 100% of the fsc which would be $1 plus .40 for $1.40 to the fuel side and $1 to the non-fuel side.

The bottom line is that 60/40 plus fsc is not the same as 40/20/40 of total pay. The former is giving all the fuel money to the side that should receive it. The latter is taking money that's not earned or deserved. IMHO and YMMV