Become my own authority???

MRADI

Expert Expediter
Can someone explain the benifits of becoming my own authority...how do u get loaded?...advantages/disadvantages...I see web sights out there, but they seem to be more tractor driven, not for straight trucks. I realize your insurance at least doubles, but doesnt the pay double as well?
Thanks for input.

fxd hd8

Expert Expediter
I did a post on authority a while back, got alot of good feed back, check in the general forum,or the newbi form,you should find all your answers there!

younglobo

Expert Expediter
My father and I started out as owner operators like yourself in 97 and after a few run ins with some less than reputable characters had a brilliant idea and decided we could get our own authority just as easily as they could, so after being in buisness for for almost 10 years we learned it is not always as easy as Seems.
these figures are for MO.
$350.00 App to DOT

$50.00 for fictious name filing ( name of your co. to be legal)

$50.00 state papers for MO. DOT

and legalization to run in states all 50 will range around 500.00

now we were only runing trucks under 26,000 gvw so we got around IFTA Filing but that is about another $800.00-1,000

Plus this is a LONG tedious process and took us 3 months so dont quit the company you pull for now thinkin you will be runin in a few weeks or days we spent many trips going to the state capital fixing small filing errors and such once the spelled my dads name wrong and that meant filing one piece of paper again AGGGG.

YOur Insurance should stay the same until you decide to do the dreaded and add employees or trucks to the fleet.

Finding customers is alot tougher than i envisioned there are some decent options if you are just looking to help find backhauls but would it be worth all the hassle UMMM probobaly not just for backhauls .

Good luck too YA