Bars Leaks Products

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I've developed a small coolant leak on an MBE 4000. About 1/2 gallon over 3000 miles. Anyone ever tried the Bars Leaks products or similar?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've developed a small coolant leak on an MBE 4000. About 1/2 gallon over 3000 miles. Anyone ever tried the Bars Leaks products or similar?

I did in my car/taxi cab...twice once for a small rad leak and once for heater core...worked great...

and pepper works too....

matlack

Expert Expediter

I have heard the the Bars gray bottle of liquid works better than the other types.

I had the same problem on a MBE, I added two bottles of Bars from WalMart and it stopped the leak.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yes it can stop leak but cause you larger problems down the road
thing is it is not a permanent fix...just to get you to a place of YOUR choice...and then fix the problem and have the system flushed...it buys valuable time and saves $$$...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Coolant system stop leak products should only be used in an emergency situation. They may or may not stop a leak for a while they may also plug you thermostat, heater core or anything else the fluid runs through. They can end up costing much more than fixing the original problem in the first place.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Guess I'll be skipping the Bars Leaks.
It looks like it might be a head gasket or deareation line leak.
Anyone know what that will cost?

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
Do you know where the leak is? I'm not a mechanic, but a half gallon /3000miles is a lot in my book. I drove an 'o7 M2 with MBE900 and was loosing that much coolant. I had an oil analysis done at speedco. That showed cooolant in oil. I then took truck to Detroit engine shop and they found EGR cooler leaking. Bottom line, get to a shop ASAP.