Band Together???!!!???

action

Expert Expediter
I think NOW is the time for ALL expediters to band together. We have no input to anything, we take what is offered or go without, We spend extra money out of our pockets to move there freight. We spend hours and or days sitting for a load. And we almost have to take what is offered because each board has so many on them we can't afford to drop to the bottom. If there is some type of bonus program we get short changed on that too. We get cheated on weight, miles and rate/mile. We pay higher costs for fuel. We have long witing/detention times and most companies take a percentage of that as well as for any other "extra services" we are expected to preform. We have one sides contracts, we MUST follow our side and the companies
only follow there side if it is convenient and makes more money for them.

This reminds me of cows in a milking barn, drain us dry and demand more. We have given all we can (which is more than should be expected). It's about time the shippers, receivers and companies shared our losses and help the "live blood" of there existence.

Statement to them: You want more from us? Then give us more!

I wish there was a way to MAKE ALL drivers/O/O's belong to an association. Then we could sit down and develop "fair and honest rates" for ALL parties. We shouldn't have to be expected to live on the "table scraps" after the companies feast! I am in NO WAY talking about a union, a slow down or a strike! This wouldn't help anyone!!

paperback1

Expert Expediter
I AGREE 100% WITH YOU, BUT DRIVERS WILL NEVER BAND TOGETHER, YOU CAN'T EVAN GET DRIVERS TO AGREE ON ANYTHING. A UNITED STAND WOULD BE NICE, BUT DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH, SAD TO SAY. IF THERE WAS A WAY FOR A UNION TO STEP IN FOR EXPIDITING I THINK A LOT OF THE COMPONIES AND OWNERS WOULD BALK AT IT, I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE OWNERS. MY FATHER WAS A TEAMSTER FOR 35YRS AND IT HELP ME GROWING UP, BUT THEN THE WAGES WOULD HAVE TO BE HIGHER, AND SO WOULD THE FREIGHT CHARGES SO THE OWNERS COULD PAY THE DRIVERS. BUT, I'M ON YOUR SIDE AND LIKE I SAID, I AGREE 100%, BUT TILL WE CAN GET DRIVERS AND OWNERS TO PUT PRESSURE ON THE COMPANY, LOOKS LIKE WE ARE STUCK WITH WHAT WE HAVE:-(

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It is a great idea, but it is not realistic. There will always be drivers out there that do not want to be part of any organized effort. Driving truck (of any length) is one of the last opportunities for a person to be "independent".

Some of you may recall in the early '70s when the teamsters went on strike. They began harassing independent & non-union drivers. Drivers were shot at and I believe even shot or killed?? The only thing that accomplished for the independent drivers was the proliferation of the use of CB's. Drivers began running in caravans for protection. Even then, the independents went their seperate ways after the strike was settled. Short of a national emergency or a tragedy, I cannot imagine this group of drivers pulling together and making a stand. But rather there will continue to be a steady stream of unsuspecting people going out and buying a truck with the expectations of earning a living and maintaining their independence. Unfortunately the majority of them will either fail or "just get by".

Drive Safe

schpanker

Expert Expediter
>It is a great idea, but it is not realistic. There will
>always be drivers out there that do not want to be part of
>any organized effort. Driving truck (of any length) is one
>of the last opportunities for a person to be "independent".
>
>Some of you may recall in the early '70s when the teamsters
>went on strike. They began harassing independent &
>non-union drivers. Drivers were shot at and I believe even
>shot or killed?? The only thing that accomplished for the
>independent drivers was the proliferation of the use of
>CB's. Drivers began running in caravans for protection.
>Even then, the independents went their seperate ways after
>the strike was settled. Short of a national emergency or a
>tragedy, I cannot imagine this group of drivers pulling
>together and making a stand. But rather there will
>continue to be a steady stream of unsuspecting people going
>out and buying a truck with the expectations of earning a
>living and maintaining their independence. Unfortunately
>the majority of them will either fail or "just get by".
>
>Drive Safe

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Why do you think NAFTA was developed? To bring cheap labor. Now that the mexican border has opened, all trucking is in jepardy. Cheap labor is what its all about. The mexican truck driver will be glad to get 25 bucks a day busting his #####. You think its bad now, wait a couple years and see what those cheap rates will do to all truck owners. As for getting together and doing something about a problem thats been around for many years, don't hold your breath. I lost my truck expediting and will never do that again. You need to find a company that has the business and can use you all the time. Good luck.
Randy

>I think NOW is the time for ALL expediters to band together.
>We have no input to anything, we take what is offered or go
>without, We spend extra money out of our pockets to move
>there freight. We spend hours and or days sitting for a
>load. And we almost have to take what is offered because
>each board has so many on them we can't afford to drop to
>the bottom. If there is some type of bonus program we get
>short changed on that too. We get cheated on weight, miles
>and rate/mile. We pay higher costs for fuel. We have long
>witing/detention times and most companies take a percentage
>of that as well as for any other "extra services" we are
>expected to preform. We have one sides contracts, we MUST
>follow our side and the companies
>only follow there side if it is convenient and makes more
>money for them.
>
>This reminds me of cows in a milking barn, drain us dry and
>demand more. We have given all we can (which is more than
>should be expected). It's about time the shippers, receivers
>and companies shared our losses and help the "live blood" of
>there existence.
>
>Statement to them: You want more from us? Then give us more!
>
>I wish there was a way to MAKE ALL drivers/O/O's belong to
>an association. Then we could sit down and develop "fair and
>honest rates" for ALL parties. We shouldn't have to be
>expected to live on the "table scraps" after the companies
>feast! I am in NO WAY talking about a union, a slow down or
>a strike! This wouldn't help anyone!!

boxtruck6

Expert Expediter
the last fellow was dead on it. but however the american truck driver will probley be the meriorty in is own country due to all the forigner people who,s coming into our country. who can,t evan speak our langange, it,s a shame when you go to mcdonalds can,t evan get a burger without speaking spanish. if this country was more like canada on who it let,s in, we be in far better shape. bottom line is if there isn,t done we are the one,s be in for a major depassion. that,s my thought,s phil:-(

Marty

Veteran Expediter
What foreign language are the words you used from? Meriorty,probley, evan,and depassion. I can't find them in my English dictionary.

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
small steps my freinds small steps,I think one place to start is to make these companies accept older trucks,I dont mean junk, If I put a new engine and trans and over haul my rear end in my 89 van and a nice waxes job I can run with the best if them. That package would rund me about 5 or 6 thousand.That is a lot less than 30,000. Just my one cent worth. Hawk

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I agree lets band together by all joining OOIDA, for a start this organization is for the O/O. I am not saying this will solve our problems but it will get us all in a common organization.
The Mexicans will work cheaper than others in this country , but this was said about the Irish,Chinese,African-American, and others when they joined the work force in this great land of freedom and opportunity. The Mexicans and every other ethnic group that came before them have one thing in common they want to enjoy the U.S.A. lifestyle. We can not blame them after all this is the most free and prosperous nation on the face of the earth. They may work for less to get a foot hold in the job market, but like other groups that have come to the U.S.A. they will want the same lifestyle we enjoy and they will demand higher wages. NAFTA will slowly bring Mexico lifestyle up to ours. The bad part about this we or our children will not see it hopefully our grandchildren will. Do not blame an individual for trying to better himself. We should be proud that others want to work here the alternative is we could of been born in a country that is not as prosperous.

action

Expert Expediter
ACE, thanks for your comments, I am sure the OOIDA is a super group.
I have been told, by many drivers/O/O's that there is almost no power
in this group and that it's main goal is the "big truck", common carrier O/O. As most will agree we in the expediter NEED our own group
to aid us and help our needs. We are a group that is looked at as "part time" or "want-to-be" "real" trucks. That's not true we all
have our place in freight moving. Most of us are looked down apon by
the "big trucks" (or most of them) and we have our place too.
I don't care baout any other ethnic group when I can't put food on the table for my family. We, in the USA need to take care of our own FIRST then help others. I am retired Navy and I think I understand the
"American Way" better than most, but if we don't help our people first
we can't help others. I agree wilt eaquel rights for ALL, but when if takes from my family, that's where I draw the line.

As far as joining OOIDA, I will join IF I have proof we "B" units will get the SAME benifits as ALL other O/O's.

(After thought, I may join anyway, just to give them a chance.)

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thank you Action for the response.
I operate a B unit,and I understand your concern about OOIDA.
They have many things to offer us for the minimal yearly fee.
Give them a chance as you suggested you would.
OOIDA board is elected by the members. They are drivers or have been drivers. The last time I checked they had a membership of 87,327.
If all expediters join we could elect our people to the board and influence how they view our form of business. This would be more economical than trying to form our own organization.

boxtruck6

Expert Expediter
does any body have # on ooida or website, i,d be interested in maybe joining their group. sorry for the mispelling in my early post, did not come out of english class yesterday like some of my felow co-drivers. just my thoughts for today, phil}>

boxtruck6

Expert Expediter
thank,s fellows, hey does any body know if that community chat on for tonight, and what time this band together issue would be a real good issue to discuss, thanks phil!;-)

action

Expert Expediter
I will be on my way to WI to deliver. If anything about this comes up I hope someone will take good notes and forward them to me!

Thanks, Action

P.S. ACE, I sent you an email, I guess you didn't get it yet. It would have been super to connect today...

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Marty,,no need to get on Boxtruck 6 for his spelling or typing errors.He was making a good point and not all of us have degrees in English Literature etc. One thing Boxtruck is you should be aware that Canada takes in immigrants that the US denies. They have just as much a problem up there as we do in the US. Vancouver should really be called Hongcouver,ask some of the Canadian Expediters such as Rob And Jim B what they think about their countries immigration policies.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
RE: Immigration Problems

RichM,

A major 10-4 on the Canadian Immigration problem. Very, very serious North of the border.:(

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Band Together

It won't happen. Read your history. Labor in the USA always had an extrememly difficult time in forming unions, even in the era of low skill industrial age jobs. Now with "globalization of the economy" you and I can be replaced by someone in another country willing to work for 40cents an hour and glad to get it. The other day I was finishing up a small job at a customers house, and as I finished caulking, I looked at the caulking gun and of course it was "Made in China". Now a caulking gun is an unbelievably simple item. It consists of a stamping or two, maybe a spring etc. It would seem that a company in the USA would be able to make these, pay above minimum wage, and still be able to turn a profit. But the problem is that the profit would be so much greater in some overseas sweatshop! So not content with, lets say, $2 profit per caulking gun, the manufacturer contracts with a firm in a 3rd world country, and makes $5 per caulking gun!! Are the savings passed onto the American consumer? What do you think???? So instead of Americans getting jobs, benefits, and some dignity and self respect, the job leaves the USA. Of course there are always a myriad of social problems associated with un- and under employment that you and I the taxpayer are fleeced by government to pay for, but that never crosses the minds of those executives who choose to set up shop overseas. (A fine example is Lionel Trains. They left Michigan for China, so they could be "competitive.")

Sooo... get ready for a long slow decline in our standard of living. Eventually they want all of us to work for $6-8 per hour. In trying to raise the world's standard of living, our sell out politicians have succeeded in lowering our own.

DooWop

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
RE: Band Together

All these post are very good,but I will go back to my one cent,the cost of the truck does not match the return on investment in most cases,allowing an older truck that is in excellent shape will help,also if you can put a bigger or extra fuel tank on your truck this will also help when gas prices drop, you would me able to fill up with lower price gas and enought of it.Once again "Just a thought" Hawk