"Band Together--Two??!!??"

action

Expert Expediter
In my last posting ("Band Together???!!!???") I stated what was on my
mind, as we should. I want to thank everyone that had a response, your
comments were / are super because you stated your feelings, thanks again.

I think the idea of starting our own "O/O owned" business would be wonderful, but is far less real than uniting all (or MOST) of the O/O's/drivers into one association. Why re-invent what is in operation now! Most of the co's we are leased onto are OK but all of them keep US on the bottom of the food chain. We have as much right to profit as they do. There way of thinking is that if we don't like it we can quit and there will be others out there to take our place. As I said before we ALL need to profit. When you think about it we cost them nothing and there profit comes from us. I know the co's will say there is cost to them, wrong, we cost them nothing. The cost to them is only after we deliver our loads then billing ect. has to cut us a check. So, we sign a contract to haul freight for them
and only them. We don't work for them, they work for US as our broker, we are there FIRST customer, shippers and receivers are there second customers. We have given them our contracts on good faith that we will be provided with the volume of freight that we can earn a living. We allow them to take a percentage of OUR money in return. When we are dispatched on a load there is no profit until WE deliver the load, WE earned the full freight charge on that load and with our contract we allow them to take there percentage. We employ them! It's about time we demand what's fair, DO YOUR CONTRACTED JOB!!! Stop adding more trucks when you can't load the one's you have now. Pay us more on the crap loads (take less profit) because it costs us more to run them. You say we refuse too many loads, ask yourself why and fix it! We want to take loads but if we can't profit from it why should we take them.

If the co's trimmed a little "fat" in there operations and cut there profit by 5% I think it would be much easier for all of us to profit. The shippers and receivers need to pay there fair share too!

Be safe...

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Please read my reply on your original post. This wouldnt be difficult to do. The reasons for replacing whats in operation now are all over this board. This is an opportunity to run an expedite company the way we all think it should be. We don't really have much to lose, do we?

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE:

Until the government comes in and says "all" particular trucks are a certain flat rate (regulated), then there will always be trucking companies cuting the rates to make a buck. Its hard to compete with the big ten (JB Hunt, Snyder, Swift, ect.) with 10,000 + trucks looking for a back haul cutting the rates, this band together will never happen. My suggestion from my past experience is 1) team operation if a log is required. 2) Refuse the BS paying loads. 3) Never sign on to a company thats "always" looking for trucks to hire. 4) if possible, sign on to a company that has dedicated (contract)loads. On the 4th one, if I had stayed with the company that was set up this way, I would be still driving my truck today. I made a switch and lost my #####. Big mistake. Lost my truck. Lesson learned. If your going to run a company with trucks, you have to know the costs of insurance, and all overhead to factor what you can pay the trucks hauling the freight. Its all about size. A trucking company with 100 trucks cannot compete with a trucking company with 10000 trucks. The company with the 100 trucks will get the leftovers, plain and simple. Don't get me wrong, its a good idea but you have to look at the facts. Corporations and globalization is killing the small business person. You have to look at what they missed. Good luck in your endevour.
Randy

>In my last posting ("Band Together???!!!???") I stated what
>was on my
>mind, as we should. I want to thank everyone that had a
>response, your
>comments were / are super because you stated your feelings,
>thanks again.
>
>I think the idea of starting our own "O/O owned" business
>would be wonderful, but is far less real than uniting all
>(or MOST) of the O/O's/drivers into one association. Why
>re-invent what is in operation now! Most of the co's we are
>leased onto are OK but all of them keep US on the bottom of
>the food chain. We have as much right to profit as they do.
>There way of thinking is that if we don't like it we can
>quit and there will be others out there to take our place.
>As I said before we ALL need to profit. When you think about
>it we cost them nothing and there profit comes from us. I
>know the co's will say there is cost to them, wrong, we cost
>them nothing. The cost to them is only after we deliver our
>loads then billing ect. has to cut us a check. So, we sign a
>contract to haul freight for them
>and only them. We don't work for them, they work for US as
>our broker, we are there FIRST customer, shippers and
>receivers are there second customers. We have given them our
>contracts on good faith that we will be provided with the
>volume of freight that we can earn a living. We allow them
>to take a percentage of OUR money in return. When we are
>dispatched on a load there is no profit until WE deliver the
>load, WE earned the full freight charge on that load and
>with our contract we allow them to take there percentage. We
>employ them! It's about time we demand what's fair, DO YOUR
>CONTRACTED JOB!!! Stop adding more trucks when you can't
>load the one's you have now. Pay us more on the crap loads
>(take less profit) because it costs us more to run them. You
>say we refuse too many loads, ask yourself why and fix it!
>We want to take loads but if we can't profit from it why
>should we take them.
>
>If the co's trimmed a little "fat" in there operations and
>cut there profit by 5% I think it would be much easier for
>all of us to profit. The shippers and receivers need to pay
>there fair share too!
>
>Be safe...
;-)