Back into expediting ?

G

GatorBait

My girlfriend and I want to get into expediting in a cargo van.We're looking for a fleet owner to drive for.We live not far from Toledo Ohio.We are trying to find out how the freight is moving for vans? I have a hourly local T/T job hauling GM parts,but with the topsy turvy industry that is,I just signed a layoff possilibily paper last week.In a 1 1/2 years I have worked with this company,I have been laid off 2 1/2 months.We are hoping to move down south which we figure will be a better move for us than to stay where we are now,being we dont care for the white stuff that keeps falling from the sky.Thanks for your help.

miker

Seasoned Expediter
I would say , not a real good idea at this point and time, simply put , there are just 2 many vans out there now that are not even staying remotely busy. If you go to the classifieds you will find fleet owners looking for CV drivers, but I think with your t/t exp. you would do better to find fleet owner looking for a driver, the only problem with that is that most of them now days are looking for teams only. Read back in recent post's here for only 3 months and I think that you'll see for yourself that it's probably not your best move.
Good Luck

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I am with you on the "white stuff".

Tampa was place of birth and I spend a lot of time on the South Carolina coast because I like the warmer climate and ocean breeze.

Unfortunately, in expediting...where the white stuff flies...so goes the green.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
With your type of experience. Don't know of too many teams in a cargo van. You'd be better suited to run team in a straight truck......You'll make more money and keep alot busier!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Not many cargo vans run team,but the suggestion to move up to a straight truck is a better idea.Since you have tt experience,put your girl friend thru tractor school and you will make much more money running a tractor as a team.Most tractor teams make at least 100000 bucks a year,you may not do that in a straight truck,and definitely not in a cargo van.You may check with US Express,they do have a training school,and most of their teams make 100000 a year