B units with New Clink

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
I still have the old Clink system and have heard the new units draw a lot more juice than the old units. I just talked to 1 B unit driver that while parked after 40 minutes it drew his battery down enough where he couldn't start the engine. He said his battery was in good shape.

Anybody else experience this? I was in no hurry to replace mine, but just got a letter that I have until Jan 31 to replace with Fedex paying for the new reinstall.

These managers love new bells and whistles, and make us pay for them. Been using GPS since '99, and I don't need to see videos
from management, and stop my truck for every dumb non run msg from safety reminding me of how to operate.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have the new one and it times out in one hour and makes no difference in my battery charge that I can determine. I have a separate battery for hotel use though and only have clink and starting off the main battery.

bcordell70

Expert Expediter
If I remember correctly when we had the new clink installed in our truck they told us it draws 6 amps, you can also call dispatch and tell them when you want the clink to turn off.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for your replies-appreciate it. When I get mine put in I'll set it for just 1 minute after shutoff. I think the old Clinks only draw 2 amps.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe the cutoff is in half hour increments with one hour as the default so 30 minutes would be your shortest cutoff.