B Unit

Was54

Expert Expediter
I recently retired from the Federal gov't. and am thinking of putting on a B unit (solo). What is a reasonable expectation of average weekly and gross earnings (before expenses)? I don't need to make a big amount and can afford a poor week now and then but I still want to make something for my time and effort. All replies appreciated. Thanks and see you at the EXPO.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You will get some good answers at the Detroit Expo show,but a lot depends on where you live.If you are in the NorthEast,or major cities in the Mid West such as Cleveland Chicago etc you will probably do OK. It also depends on how often you are willing to be away from home.
If you reside in a area that I like to call the expediters triangle,Milwaukee to Cincinnati to Toronto Canada you will most likely stay busy.Income varies by company and other B unit population. I would not want to predict income in these times so don!t go overboard, as far as the Sprinter goes the the scorecard is still out there.I personally think it!s a good vehicle from my experience with 2 Mercedes Benz trucks in the past but remember for service you will have to go to a Freightliner dealer,I don!t think Jiffy Lube will have filters and know how to change to oil etc..

marmon01

Expert Expediter
I'm also anticipating retiring within a year and have looked at a couple of dedicated parcel routes where you would work just for one company and transfer between their various locations at night. The better of the two I looked at would have provided an income of 65 cents per mile (cpm). I estimated that I could comfortably operate the van for 30 cpm, leaving a net income of 35 cpm or about $28,000.00 per year for 80,000 miles. The bank decided to keep doing this in house, thus we never got the route.

Lureveto

Expert Expediter
DON'T DO IT !!!! You are going to be just like a friend of mine and I will not tell you hisname here. If you call or e-mail me I will let you have his phone number. He called me last night from Texas and said he has had 2 loads in 2 weeks. He is teaming with his wife and is leased to Con-Way. He is spending his money on motels because he didn't know how hot it is in Laredo in August. He also is not aware of how cold it is in Jan. in Minnesota. He is retired from GM and has a beautiful home in the Toledo area and he is sitting in a hot cargo van in Texas. There are two many RETIRED people trying to make a part time job out of this thing We are out here doing full time. If the retired people would stay away from Wal Mart you could go there and make a decent wage. Part time retired people cause the expediting companies to recruit more and more trucks and this denies us full timers loads. Cause when you go out of service 50% of the time to sightsee then the company needs more trucks to make up the load count.If you want to WORK contact me and I will put you in one of my trucks for 3weeks straight and home for a couple of days and you can see why you should take your gov't pension and open a hotdog stand. So come on down to the Akron area where the living is easy and expedite with all these retired people are trying to sell their vans.

marmon01

Expert Expediter
A lot of people are retiring early for the first time and then working part time for several years. I've never worked directly in expediting; however, I've worked part-time on weekends pulling a chemical tank for the last 20 years, in addition to my regular job. It's worked nicely in that the weekends are usually forced dispatch for the full-timers; thus, when I work it allows someone else to be off on Sunday.

I believe there may be some part-time possiblities in the dedicated parcel routes for a van.