Automatic Transmissions

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
QUOTE:He adds, "I've seen drivers who were dead-set against having a <truck with an automatic, but after they've been in an automatic, <they don't want to go back to shifting

Here`s one driver who went back to shifting.
Getting fluid changed every 25K was a pain in the but. Few places do it and they want an appointment days in advance.

Fuel mileage worse by 1.5 MPG

Poor treatment by Allison Warrenty
(the story, short version) On first fluid change they said a factory recall should be done)three days later got the truck back with a tranny they took out of someone elses truck.Chattering began a few K later.4 trips to the shop and countless downtime.Finally they said nothing would be done until it failed completly.
IT DID!!!

Jayman

Expert Expediter
When I get to buy a truck, whenever that is...I may consider the Ultrashift. Anybody got the skinny on them?

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
If i could have found a T300 with a twin stick, I'd have gotten that. This super 10 is as close to an automatic as I'll ever go.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
a t-300 with what a 4x5? That's a lot of gears for a lil truck. I saw a fld 120 straight truck with a 13 in it.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
It was a show truck, but I belive it had something to do with John Deere. Because there were murals of JD tractors on all sides.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
please eloborate on your situation a little more. what type of allison were you running what fluid, what service center. are you still running this trans. maybe we all can help. i run a 4000hs series allison and have no complaints of any kind. my warranty has been good and we only change every 75,000 mi. fuel mi. is as good as my previous truck and this one is heavier, has more hp. and tqe. give us more info if it warrants your situation still.

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a Freightliner M2 with 450 Mercedes engine and 10 speed Eaton autoshift (use clutch for stopping and starting and reverse). I really like the autoshift. I have learned that on an uphill start, the autoshifting can be rough (jerky) unless I am real easy on the accelerator. The jakebrake takes care of downhill requirements to reduce speed.

I will be selling this truck near the end of this year when I hit the retirement trail. Mike

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
tip on Autoshift transmissions

Mike:
Here's a good tip for the use of an Autoshift or Ultrashift transmission.
When you start from a dead stop on an upgrade -- especially with a load -- select H (for hold) or M (for manual) -- whichever your truck has, depending on the age of the transmission -- rather than D.
You also may need to start in 1st gear rather than 2nd gear (the default starting gear).
Then start moving.
Then allow the engine to wind up higher than if you used D -- to about 1800-2100 r.p.m., depending on the particular engine and the curcumstances.
Use the "up" arrow to upshift at a point which you select.
Repeat that process through the first few gears -- usually until about 4th to 6th gear -- until you roll well uphill.
Then select D and allow the transmission to do its own thing.
Marda and I have driven several trucks with Autoshift transmissions -- starting in 1998 -- on both tractors and straight trucks.
We learned that trick early on the first one.
We now have a new Freightliner Columbia with Ultrashift.
We still feel extremely pleased with those automated transmissions from Eaton-Fuller.
Good luck!
Doc.