Auto Shift not wanting to go into gear at start

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Hi everyone. The driver in my truck is complaining that the auto shift on my truck is not going into gear when he starts out. He gets the blinking "2" that shows it isn't in gear yet, along with the downward arrows, showing that the RPMs are not at the correct speed for shifting. I do understand that this issue may have to do with the clutch brake not engaging completely. I had driven it last week while it was home and had no problem whatsoever. I of course am very used to the way this tranny works (I had problems at first as well) and this driver is pretty new to the truck.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Could it be something with the cold weather? Maybe the truck idling slightly different in the cold?

Truck is an FLD112 with a Cat C-10 and 10 speed Eaton/Fuller autoshift.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I had the same problem. Pilot bearing wore out causing the clutch to not be in the proper position. Then a spring came out of the clutch causing it to bind on the flywheel. The drive train would not disengage when that happened.
I had to have a new clutch, input shaft, and flywheel installed.
Total cost $2944. (They put in a used flywheel)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you don't stop in neutral for 1.5 seconds when going from R>D or D>R it will do that. I believe if you don't have the brake depressed it will also do that. Hopefully it's just trying to move too quickly between directions or not enough brake pressure and not a mechanical problem.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Well, the driver said he was having problems putting it in gear when he got back in the truck after a restroom break, so he wasn't switching from drive to reverse or the other way around. I am aware of having to wait a second for the clutch brake to catch on. I drove this truck myself for 2-1/2 years. At first I probably had a similar problem with it, until an Eaton rep explained to me how the clutch brake worked within the system. I just don't know if there may be a bit of ice getting on the gears when parked or what. He had told me this back one time (a cold day as well) but I drove it last week down here in Orlando and never had an issue once. Certainly not one where it would take 15 minutes to put it into gear.

Is it:

- a computer sensor?
- pilot bearing?
- bad clutch?
- truck idling at a slightly different speed in the cold?

I just don't know right now.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our truck and transmission is different than yours but consider this. We once had a problem with the truck not going into gear or going out of gear once it was in. This developed soon after we had new batteries installed. I checked the connections and found one seemingly tight but not really. After cleaning and tightening it up the problem was solved.

On our truck there are a few small wires that connect directly to the battery terminals. One of them senses the voltage for the transmission ECM, I later learned. Might your issue might be something as simple as a wire connection that has come loose or corroded? Might your transmission be fine but the ECM confused?

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Is tranny service due ? maybe a fluid and filter change could help the problem get resolved for you.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Well, tranny service is not late. Problem seems intermittent.

Phil, that's a very interesting situation with the batteries. I mentioned that to him and will have him check that later. No problems this morning.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
My problem was intermittent too. I kept running it until the spring came out of the clutch and the drive train wouldn't disengage in a Walmart parking lot. I had to pull the parking brake knob and shut the engine off to get it to stop moving.
My shop said it would have cost less if I had brought it in earlier because the spring would not have come out of the clutch damaging the flywheel. And the input shaft may not have needed replacing.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Well, the driver had no issue at all yesterday or today so far. I just had an Eaton mechanic service it a few months ago, and at the time, they found no problems with any of the clutch parts. I will find out on Monday, as the truck delivers locally, and I can have it checked out.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
There are quite a few minor problems ,that can cause what seems like a major problem.My truck has done the same thing a few times.While stopped,have him take the on and off key and switch it back and forth 4 or 5 times.This should put a code on your dash where the selector button is.
Switching the key on and ooff can reset the trnny puter too.If you disconect the batterey for 5 mins,this also can reset the computer,those are the 2 easiest fixes.If your voltage is low on the batteries,this can cause the problem.If your truck is loike most with the auto shift,there is no clutch adjustment,unless it's been changed to a manual clutch,the auto uaually have a self adjusting clutch.In this weather,there could be ice in the air line,this could also be the trouble.LAst resort would be to jump start the truck at the starter motor to bi pass the computer,this works on mine,but what mine usually does is lock itself in gear,won't go to neutral.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Well, my driver got into town this week and I took the truck for a spin. I swear I cannot find ANYTHING wrong with it when I drive it. I drove it all over town, pulling into lots and putting it in and out of park, as well as shoving it into reverse. I could not for the life of me get this truck to act up. I'm still going to take it to get looked at, but I'm beginning to think the problem has been "user error."

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I never updated this, but thought everyone who responded might want to know how it turned out. I took the truck to Kenworth of Central Florida, who have serviced this Eaton tranny before successfully. Two minutes in the truck and the guy said, "I think it's a case of user error." I did have the clutch adjusted, which makes it even easier to engage the clutch brake, but as it turns out, it basically had to do with driver impatience.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Great deal nothing like a cheap visit to the truck dr. BTW my fl70 did a similar thing in cold weather but not in hot weather well the dealer reset the allison autoshifts brain and so far its fine. They said moisture or salt could have worked its way into the lines somewhere. I was happy for a $45 visit.

I never updated this, but thought everyone who responded might want to know how it turned out. I took the truck to Kenworth of Central Florida, who have serviced this Eaton tranny before successfully. Two minutes in the truck and the guy said, "I think it's a case of user error." I did have the clutch adjusted, which makes it even easier to engage the clutch brake, but as it turns out, it basically had to do with driver impatience.