Auto Hauling

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I'm curious if you have a cdl and drive cdl trucks how could you think having Ifta it would let you bypass scales?

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
I'm curious if you have a cdl and drive cdl trucks how could you think having Ifta it would let you bypass scales?

I don't plan on bypassing DOT weigh scales. I meant bypassing scaling out at like a pilot or something. I'm talking about having to pay $10 every time to weigh and finding out I'm 300 lbs overweight then getting busted and fined at a REAL weigh station. My thought was, is it worth it to just pay the IFTA tax etc....to have the peace of mind and not worry if I'm just a few hundred lbs over.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
WHAT????? Are you talking about Ifta has nothing to do with weights or scales it a fuel tax for all 50 states and reporting of miles traveled and you pay the difference in where you buy fuel and drive where you didn't buy fuel etc.... It's a big pain in the ass and you don't need it if under 26k !!!!!
Google search is your friend use it and read about all the confusion of Ifta !

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
WHAT????? Are you talking about Ifta has nothing to do with weights or scales it a fuel tax for all 50 states and reporting of miles traveled and you pay the difference in where you buy fuel and drive where you didn't buy fuel etc.... It's a big pain in the ass and you don't need it if under 26k !!!!!
Google search is your friend use it and read about all the confusion of Ifta !

Tknight, listen, if you're just one of those people looking to put everyone down, then don't respond anymore. I appreciate your perspectives at first, but I don't think you understand what I'm saying, evidently. I was told by someone at the CDL office that if you weigh over 26k lbs you're subject to IFTA Tax!! My point is, for the 4th time, if I pull into a weigh station and weigh 26,400 lbs, am I going to be fined for being overweight AND not having an IFTA sticker????? If you can't answer the question without sarcasm, don't bother. The forum is to help people, and answer questions not build your ego! Smh...

Yowpuggy

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If your truck is registered for 2600# you're not reguire to have ifta if over you're required. So if you're carrying 26,400#, ifta or not you're overweight

Yowpuggy

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The ifta requirement is not for the amount of weight you carry, it's for the weight your truck is registered to carry

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
The ifta requirement is not for the amount of weight you carry, it's for the weight your truck is registered to carry

Ok, I understand about the weight, but if I'm registered for any weight over 26k lbs I have to have it, correct? Wouldn't it make sense to register for 30k lbs and pay the IFTA tax and apportioned plates rather than worry about a fine for being slightly overweight all the time and paying to scale out after every load? Obviously, I'm only pulling a 3 car hauler and can't get much over 26k, but if I have 2 SUV'S and a car, it's gonna be close.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK. Excuse me if this seems like a smart-alecky answer, but--- the more I see of this the more I wonder why you don't get a truck that is built for the job. A 3500 series 6 wheel pickup ain't it--- especially as you keep knocking your loaded weight higher. 30K? Imagine the load over that truck's rear axle! Think of the strain on the engine--- especially if you have to pull up a long 5% grade. I can easily imagine having to replace the engine every 200K miles or so-- and lucky to get that.

They make heavier trucks that are designed for this sort of thing. I can imagine a truck like yours being good for one of those 5th-wheel RVs or one of those big horse trailers-- maybe at a stretch your three-car carrier with three CARS on it-- but the higher you push the weight on that pickup, the more trouble you're buying for yourself.

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
OK. Excuse me if this seems like a smart-alecky answer, but--- the more I see of this the more I wonder why you don't get a truck that is built for the job. A 3500 series 6 wheel pickup ain't it--- especially as you keep knocking your loaded weight higher. 30K? Imagine the load over that truck's rear axle! Think of the strain on the engine--- especially if you have to pull up a long 5% grade. I can easily imagine having to replace the engine every 200K miles or so-- and lucky to get that.

They make heavier trucks that are designed for this sort of thing. I can imagine a truck like yours being good for one of those 5th-wheel RVs or one of those big horse trailers-- maybe at a stretch your three-car carrier with three CARS on it-- but the higher you push the weight on that pickup, the more trouble you're buying for yourself.
Mjmsprt40,
If you read previously, I said, I will almost NEVER be over 16-17k lbs being towed!!! What don't you get? That is EXACTLY what that truck is manufactured for bro. Weight is weight, it doesn't matter if it's an RV or a car hauler. Almost every single 3 car wedge you see out on the road is being towed by a dually. I never once said I would be towing 30k, you misunderstood. I said registering for 30k. I'm learning a lot, but I'm not dumb. If you must know, why would somebody drop almost three times the money on a tractor to do the job a dually is meant for? And again, as I said previously, I'm in ohio and plan on hauling regionally. There aren't a whole lot of 5% grade climbs or downhill runs around here. Thanks though for your help though!

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
The itfa sticker is for fuel tax only not about weight ever.....just get the basic weight tag for your truck just don't go higher than a 10k tag on the truck so if your driving with out a trailer your safe from log books and scales.

Reactions: Steviegoblue

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
The itfa sticker is for fuel tax only not about weight ever.....just get the basic weight tag for your truck just don't go higher than a 10k tag on the truck so if your driving with out a trailer your safe from log books and scales.

Excellent advice. I didn't realize I needed to do that, thx!

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I'm not being a smart ass your op wasn't very clear on your intent!

Isn't having your tow vehicle registered a 10k putting you overweight at once with a trailer and cars in tow because of your combined gross vehicle weight ? A tractor is liscenced at 80k and with the trailer can't exceed that weight so why would a pickup be any different?

Last edited:

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Any time he's using a trailer for commercial use he's going to be needing to log and scale.... it's like vans that haul has mat...but it's anytime the trailer is hooked up.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not being a smart ass your op wasn't very clear on your intent!

Isn't having your tow vehicle registered a 10k putting you overweight at once with a trailer and cars in tow because of your combined gross vehicle weight ? A tractor is liscenced at 80k and with the trailer can't exceed that weight so why would a pickup be any different?
I got pulled for a weight check once. I was driving a rig then for a local cartage outfit, the tractor was smoking heavier than it should because the owner didn't maintain it quite as well as he should have--- so based on the smoke I got pulled for a weight check. I was OK as concerns that--- as it happens the tractor was plated for 40K lbs and I was running just under 35K that morning. Had it been over 40K--- somebody woulda had to pay some bucks.

So-- I suspect tknight has a valid point. The truck needs to be plated for the combined gross vehicle weight rating, not just for the 10K that a 3500 series pickup alone would need. Get pulled over under-plated, expect to pay the bucks.

Steviegoblue

Rookie Expediter
Ok, so if I'm following here, the truck MUST be plated for total GCVW? Then just a normal commercial vehicle plate on the trailer?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think there is a website or two for hotshots, they deal with your exact issues. If you could find one of those it would probably be very helpful for you.