Authority

Flybye

Seasoned Expediter
Hi
I was woundering does anyone know around about how much it would cost to get my own Authority for a cargo Van,,Im with EGL and they said i could get my own loads when they dont have any.as long as i cover up there numbers.also where can i go to check for cargo van loads.

Thanks in advance.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If you get your own authority, you'd have to get load insurance. I've heard of single-load insurance, which would probably be best for you, if you're only taking a couple loads a month under your authority. Personally, I don't think it's worth it, if using it to suppliment your carrier's loads.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There was a time when you could get trip insurance to cover a individual trip but I havn't seen it offered in quite a while.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

under contract authority I think you may be able to pull off the single trip cargo insurance but reguardless you will need the public liability in place and filed with washington before they will grant your authority.

lancer has pretty decent rates I just got a year 1 million liability.100 k cargo and physical damage on a truck valued at 35k and it cost me a total of a little over 7k.but you dont have to pay that all at once it was 1400 down and 500 for the payments.

thats the best deal I have ever got for the whole ball of wax.

but anyway your cargo insurance as a contract carrier is not required to be on file but I would not suggest running freight without it.

it may not be your fault but you never know if something can go wrong it will.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
You will need 300,000 primary liability and at least 10,000 cargo insurance. I have 300,000 and 50,000 cargo and I pay about 200 a month. I run older window vans so I just carry the primary liability. Once you have your own authority you can go directly to manufactoring companys or anywhere else because you are now a motor carrier.