Authority?

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am considering changing gears and doing a local delivery in about a 50 mile range. Do I need any special authority for a van, I won't be crossing any state lines?
It'll be an express for parts for business's in a 50 mile radius that need parts,etc. from a larger metro area.
I would appreciate any comments. We may get back into expediting next year; however, just got so many things at home and a little income would help.
:) :) :)

Big Al

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Operating authority (or ICC authority) is only required if you cross state lines or if you exceed 100 miles from your home base but go across state lines. Some states may require you to have some sort of authority. I *think* Kentucky, Virginia and Pennsylvania do. (I am sure somebody will either add to or correct me there ;))

--
Mike N

Mrand Mrs

Expert Expediter
In Wisconsin, I believe you still need to have intrastate (not interstate) authority if you move freight within state lines. Check your state's dot website.

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
many states do require "intrastate" authority for the application you are considering. you can bet if you need it and don't have it, your competitors will make certain the authorities are aware of you.
Check with your state DOT office.

Tom Robertson