Authority and Carrier

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Terry and Renne made a comment in another post about a gentleman who ia a carrier. Is the carrier an expedited trucking company such as FedXCC, Tri State, Panther, etc. Can the carrier have one truck, five trucks, or many trucks such as the big guys? What is authority? Is that the permits granted by DOT or whatever to operate the trucking company? Does each state issue an authority? Another thing, another posting had a statement about a pre trip something, and a post trip something. I couldn't find it again. It may have been a pre load ........... Any ideas? Thanks :+ :+

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
Authority is issued by the federal gov't to haul friehgt in the US and across state lines. Without it, the only thing you can do is lease on to someone. Although with your authority you need much more than just that to run. You usually need IFTA which is for fuel taxes, Insurance, a business license, and a few other items. All these are not terribly expensive other than insurance and can be had with some leg work. I got my authority in 3 days right from the Gov't web site. With it however you need the cargo insurance and as I mentioned that can be very expensive.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Couple of answers here, 1st authority, involving tariff rates [what you will charge], financial responsibility [got the resources], all aspects of trucking, payroll, permitting, logs, fuel tax, etc. Speaking of logs, you are required to log a pre trip inspection and a post trip inspection. You are certifying the condition of your equipment to the best of your ability and training. Remember you are a trained professional who has the ability to properly inspect ever aspect of your equipment. It's the law. Thanks for the good questions. Sometimes we forget to talk about the basics. I hope I answered your questions?

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Glen. If my poor memory serves me right, it wasn't a pre and post inspection. I know what that is. Do you have to log an inspection in a cargo van, since you don't have to keep a log? I'm sure it is a good idea to inspect your equipment regardless of what you drive. Should that daily cargo van inspection be documented just for a cover thy a.. situation? :+ :+