Atkins - Point of view from the Lady of the House

Debbie

Expert Expediter
I have enjoyed all of the posts on the Atkins diet.
For those of you who do not know me - My name is Debbie and I am Lawrence's better half ;-)

It will work and it is a lifestyle change that you have to be committed to. As one poster mentioned if you go off - you WILL gain back plus more.

For myself I do a modified Atkins that works well for me. First of all stay away from white flour and sugar - those are the killers!!

Here is my plan:

Eat all the protein you want especially at breakfast and lunch or a snack.

I include 2-4 veggies (non-starch) or fruit (don't eat 4 fruits - just one and the rest veggies) per meal - even breakfast - for example - an omelet with lots of mushrooms, green pepper and onion.

2-3 servings of whole grain bread or a starchy veggie (such as potatoes, corn, beans, peas - etc) PER DAY - or approximatelately 45 to 60 grams of carbs per day. (45 if you do not exercise - 60 if you do)

Butter is great and whole cream sure taste good in the coffee every morning. I haven't given that up either.

If you have a sweet tooth - like most of us do - I like the candy bars put out by CARBOLITE - my favorite is the chocolate truffle - they are really good - Even Lawrence says he feels like he is cheating when he eats one!!!!

You can get them at Walgreens for $1.28 - or buy them in bulk from Sams Club - there are 4 different kinds and also cookies and brownies. They have splenda (a sweetner made from suger) with 0 carbs. Don't go crazy with them - but eat them when you need that little bit of sweet - You'll love 'em

One of my favortie books on the subject is "The Schwarzbein Principle " Written by Diane Schwarzbein - an endrocrinologist in California - It makes alot of sense - read it while you are waiting for that next load :)

I like this way over the Atkins better because I think a sensible balance is better (for me anyway) than no carbs at all.

I don't know if you guys would buy this magazine - but there was a great article in Womans World this month on the Carb diets - Sept 30 issue - Mentions it on the front cover (lose 45 pounds by Thanksgiving)

I have lost 25 pounds on the diet before. Now I am at it again and trying to help Lawrence with it too - We will keep you posted ;-)

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
RE: Atkins - Point of view from the Lady of the Ho

Hi Debbie, good to hear from you!! Thank you so much for your input on dieting. I've been "toying" with the idea for a while now, just haven't gotten serious yet. I have other health issues that come into play so I'll be asking my doc next week about what would be best for me. I'm realatively new to this dieting thing. Up until 4 yrs. ago I was always on the other end of the thing, struggling to keep enough weight on, again because of health issues. I was slowly putting on the lbs. and not too worried about it when I was still at my other job because I was getting a lot of on the job exercise, but after 15 months on the truck, at last I have arrived, I am now plus sized!! This being a whole new ball game for me, I hope I have the will power to pull this one out of the hat! Anyway, I'll keep ya posted on what the doc recomends.
Stay in touch, it's good to hear from the ladies, don't know what's happened to JuJu lately, must be VERY busy.....

Just Killin' Time!!
DD

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

Well, ok here is my first 7 day report...I lost 5 lbs my first week.
:7

I have to say this has been my first serious attempt at a "diet" and I have to confess - I was not hungry or uncomfortable at all, I did have a few sugar attacks but overcame that with a Pepsi One.

I would like to hear from anyone else that is making this kind of life-style change.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
On the keyboard of life, always keep
one finger on the escape key.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/fastcomputer.gif
-----------------------------------------

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager

Way to go Larry!!!

Hey DD...yup...been on the road quite a bit lately..just got back in last night from about two weeks out and am a bit whupped. We've done almost 9000 miles in that time. Gone from Canada to Arkansas to South Dakota to South Carolina and back. We did however sign up for the Wica thingie from flying J last night on the way thru Virginia and am anxious to try it out. It's nice to have the whole weekend off cuz we got two loads sitting in the van waiting for a Monday delivery and since it's the hubby's birthday today I think I just may bake him a cake!! Have you been home quite a bit or do you do most of your online stuff from your ride? Having just gone through two weeks of email I'm tickled pink to think we can keep it cleared while on the road. Got your email and NO I am not going naked to scare off the Iraquis...*LOL*

Now on the dirtier note..I've gotta skate...two weeks of laundry to do and a big ol empty frig!! :D :D :D

streetsweeper

Expert Expediter

Howdy, just wandered in here & looked around. Reading the posts on Atkins has been interesting. I am glad to see yall are doing well with it. The following is true and a condensed, not so pretty story. Back in 2000, I was engaged to a very wonderful woman whom decided to go on a high protien diet.
She had been on Pondimin or Phen Fen in the mid 90's and had other health problem's.

When she told me about her starting the diet, I was completely ingnorant for lack of a better word, concerning dieting and was totally supportive of her effort. During Sept, she lost 20 lbs or about 5 lbs per week but was also experiencing kidney pain *big time trouble* followed. I didnt see it coming. Oct, she was excited and happy as hell she'd lost another 24 lbs.

For the 2 months a total of 43.5 lbs lost. Nov 2, 2000 she went down from a blood clot and was airlifted from our home in the Texas Panhandle to Houston for surgury to repair her aorta. The surgeons hauled tail after it ruptered moving her from guerny to Op table. I'll end it there, she was in a coma for 3 wks following the surgury and passed away Nov 22.

So, I wound up learning a very hard lesson about diets & health issues. I have a website on Freeservers where we had begun building an e commerce site. Yall are welcome to go visit it. There are links there to various websites and a memorial page for her.

http://westernunderground.freeservers.com

Thanks.To each and everyone of you using Atkins, you have my best wishes and congratulations.

redddfeather1

Expert Expediter

You bring up some good points Debbie. I tend to need a variety of foods, but I know quite a few people that swear by the Atkins diet verbatum. Along with watching your food intake, 20 minutes: count em--20 minutes of any kind of exercise will enchance your health. Walking, swimming, biking, running, calisthenics, whatever makes you feel good and doesn't hurt. No pain no gain---BS for most people. The trick is finding what works for you whether that is food or exercise. WWW.Walford.com is a good resource for those that take an eclectic approach to health. The focus of Dr. Walford is anti-aging, but his principles can be utilized on their own or in conjuction with other programs. Walford salad has all the ingredients of Centrum vitamins but in a "live cell" form. I tried the entire recipe, and unless you're an elephant or a bison it's a little much. However, some of the ingredients in smaller quantities could be a nice addition for veggie people. Also, Walford offers alot of different recipes. Finally, I find salsa, pickles, balsamic vinegar, yellow mustard etc., add a little spice and few calories to life. As Julia says" Bon ap petit. " One more thing---no stimulants as streetsweep can attest to including mega caffeine and ephedra---kills hearts.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

Hi JuJu, sorry I didn't answer you sooner. We puter up on the road as much as possible, whenever we can get to a flying j. Yes we were home for a VERY long time, 36 days getting the old truck ready for sale and then preparing the new one for the road. We went out for week and a half but had to come home for grooming appt. tomorrow! Groomer was off for 3 months having a furless baby (what is she thinking) so they haven't been done in a while then we had the misfortune to get into some burrs in a Dallas rest stop on Thursday so they really are a mess!! Wonder if the groomer will even speak to us after tomorrow and Tuesday! I smell a BIG tip coming on! None of them enjoy it so all go to the vet first for a doggie downer shot, what an ordeal but what cha gonna do?

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
DD