asking questions again

beachbum20714

Expert Expediter
hi,newbi here again,question:what is the best company to work for as a solo driver in a van or str trk? as a o/o driving my own trk will i get better run offers than say a driver working for a o/o?stupit question i know but just thought i would ask.as a o/o just starting out, driving my own trk ,what would be the best company to work for?on an avge, what kind of money can i expect to make a week?i know ,i know,you guys have told many people, it depends on how hard you work.just give a ball park figure.and how much you are spending in fuel a week?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Earl,

Asking who is the best company to work for is like asking what is the best flavor of ice cream.

We all know it's Butter Pecan. Right?

You see my point.

I would start by saying in times like these - you will always do better with a straight truck. Even much better if you had a team driver.

What part of the country are you in? What kind of experience driving do you have?

Best wishes!

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

T.V. - Why do you think they call it programming?

No, YOU suck. - the mean people

"Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed about the United States." - J. Bartlett Brebner

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure. - I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Become who you are. - Nietzsche

Whoever coined the phrase "Quiet as a mouse" has never stepped on one.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Lawrence put it very well. I agree a straight truck #1 as for a Team seems like FECC and Panther do very well some of the numbers these trucks do is amazing. I have heard up to 6K a week so after all expenses probably 2K each or little less.

Solos, comes down to what Lawrence said. I am quite satisfied with my Carrier. I cannot see that the grass is greener anywhere else.

Who have you talked with and what exactly are you hearing from the recruiters? You may get into this and make a mistake, do not be discourage or get mad at yourself, learn and go on. We have all been there at one time or another. Read the sites and have your ducks and $ in order. Good Luck.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Earl:

Lawrence didn't mention so I will. Before you invest money in a truck and your time starting with the wrong company or O/O, let me extend to you a cordial invitation to join us at the Expedite Expo that is advertised on the home page, surely you've seen it.

You will be able to talk to a dozen different recruiters, company representatives, and many drivers and owners leased to all of the expedite carriers in which you would likely be interested. Enjoy the ride to Wilmington, Ohio, bring a friend and enjoy a couple of days with those of us that enjoy expediting, or at least are making a go of it. Your time will be well spent.

BTW, Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey in the best ice cream.

Terry

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your question is similar to which is better, Ford or Chevy? Add to that what mpg will I get in this new Mustang GT? Compare those to which company and how much money. As to companies, what's great for one guy will be mediocre for another. My short list includes Landstar, ConWay, Panther, Express-1 and Fedex. Which one depends to a great degree on solo or team. Some of them have a distinct leaning toward one or the other. Some don't. One guy is going to be spinning the tires and doing 0-60 runs from every stoplight. Another guy is going to be very smooth and gradual on the throttle and take the interstate to avoid stops and starts. They'll get very different mpg from the same model car. It works similarly with making money. Different guys run different ways so they make different money. There's no way for us to estimate what you'll make and there's no way for you to get useful information from our numbers. It's not that long till the expo so I'd hold off till then and make good use of the resources there to learn about the business. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.