As new as they come

bdude423

Active Expediter
I have been hired by a company to lease to Rush . I will be driving a cargo van. Is this good bad, or indifferent. If anyone has experience with this company, I would greatly appreciate it

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If you want any kind of decent answer, you'll have to provide some specifics of your agreement with the company you'll be working for. There are ALOT of threads on here discussing these things. Use the search function at the top right of the web page. Spend some time researching. Then you will be able to ask more specific questions and get better answers.

bdude423

Active Expediter
ok this is what I know, they pay 100% of fuel charge, and 70% of the trucks gross. I was wondering, what kind of empty miles there are on average? If there is a driver familiar with the company. Being as I haven't been to an orientation, what a fuel surcharge is? I have dealt with plenty of invoices in the past, this is an entirely new arena for me. What kind of loaded miles can be expected, on average? Again any info would be great

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Getting there. For clarification, do you own the van or will you be driving someone else's van leased to Rush?

A good number for empty miles is 20%.

Fuel surcharge is how the carriers offset the fluctuations in fuel price. My straight truck was being paid $1.25 per loaded mile + 32 cents per loaded mile for fsc. It will vary as the price of fuel varies.

bdude423

Active Expediter
It is through a company called eds, the area code is 615, I haven't checked that out yet. I will own the van that I am driving. thanks for the info. Making a career change after 25 years is kind of nerve racking

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I have no knowledge of eds or Rush, but 70% is fair and 100% of fsc is expected.

I dont advise you to rush into this. Read, read, read and then read some more here on this site. Learn all you can. Talk to some Rush drivers and if you can some ex-drivers.

This industry is not something to jump into unprepared. You can be taken for a ride and wind up with much less than you started....or you can be successful. Research and knowledge will help you to be the latter.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I googled EDS and found that they are Expedited Delivery Service, the expedite division of Rush Trucking.

Probably worth a look. You'll definitely want to talk to some people who know them though. After looking at their website, I think I have seen their trucks in the Detroit area, but thats the extent of my knowledge. Sounds like Greg knows 'em. Do your research.

Last edited: