Risky Business Are you a Courier or an Expediter?

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
The number of people dabbling in Amazon Last Mile Delivery has thrown a bit of a wrench in the insurance underwriting of smaller vehicles making “for hire” deliveries.

A professional cargo van or sprinter driver hauling time sensitive freight on an unlimited radius is a clear cut “Expediter Classification” for most insurance companies.

But what about Couriers? Most personal auto policies don’t accept vehicles “carrying persons or property for compensation or a fee.”

READ MORE...

Reactions: Turtle

Ethan Scott

Not a Member
Industry Supplier
Hi,

One of the essential things that I have come across is that people or corporates gently ignore the current market trends and are left un-updated. There are a lot of options that have come around in today's time and the only way one can make the most of them is when they have the correct data. Even in the industry of courriers and expediters, knowing data can make a company a lot to save and grow fast. You can actually go and contact a lot of agencies or organisations that work in the field of data gathering intelligence. Freight transportation has soared with time. Amazon is one of the considerable factors in it, companies like UPS, DHL have started investing more into the intelligence information and the data that runs the industry.

Following their trends, I believe the courier and expediters industry can actually seek a solution in intelligence, information and market analysis before making any call or driving down any plan of a solution.

let's discuss this if any one wants to.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Most auto policies don’t cover hauling people or cargo for hire.

I’ve often wondered how most auto insurers react when someone starts with Uber or Lyft.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hi,

One of the essential things that I have come across is that people or corporates gently ignore the current market trends and are left un-updated. There are a lot of options that have come around in today's time and the only way one can make the most of them is when they have the correct data. Even in the industry of courriers and expediters, knowing data can make a company a lot to save and grow fast. You can actually go and contact a lot of agencies or organisations that work in the field of data gathering intelligence. Freight transportation has soared with time. Amazon is one of the considerable factors in it, companies like UPS, DHL have started investing more into the intelligence information and the data that runs the industry.

Following their trends, I believe the courier and expediters industry can actually seek a solution in intelligence, information and market analysis before making any call or driving down any plan of a solution.

let's discuss this if any one wants to.

I’ll pass.......

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

I’ve often wondered how most auto insurers react when someone starts with Uber or Lyft.

When carrying passengers Uber's commercial passenger insurance takes over ..... When NOT carrying passengers the regular passenger insurance takes over...

The gray area is when drivers are drivers are driving "looking' for passengers ....some personal insurers call this commercial use and may try to deny coverage in the event of an accident and Uber Insurance isn't in play because no passengers are in the vehicle while a driver is "looking" for riders (pings actually).

Simple solution .... Just say your driving to shop or visiting a friend (of course IF the insurance co can look at your phone and see you're on the app.... that may blow that story....Of course you could say you forgot the app was on....

Like paper log books .... just have to know what to do / say to stay out of trouble ;-O

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Simple solution .... Just say your driving to shop or visiting a friend (of course IF the insurance co can look at your phone and see you're on the app.... that may blow that story....Of course you could say you forgot the app was on....
Still running the scams, i see.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Still running the scams, i see.

NO, It's actually the insurance company in this case I believe is running or trying to run the scam ....

For them to attempt to deny a person or actually deny coverage to a person driving to an area where a passenger pick up is more likely would be akin to them denying a person coverage while driving to their job at a burger king or something ....(there is little or no difference in this example - people would be driving to where they "work" so would you or should you deny some kid coverage if he / she got into an accident while driving to their job at burger king ?)...

Why should it be different for a driver going to more populated areas to seek "employment" from potential riders?

Technically, you are not doing livery until a person is in the car for pay so I don't see how an insurance co can deny or potentially deny coverage for driving to an area of people ( In the Uber case they tho them may try to argue that you are driving to a known rider due to a "ping" BUT then again if you work at Burger King that is a known job so should an insurance co deny you coverage for going to work BEFORE you arrive?).

Since the insurance companies want to bleed the little guy (extra premiums for no "real" reason or potentially deny coverage in case THEY feel like it , my suggestions are for the little guy to protect themselves from a potential injustice .... Little guy against the insurance co with big $$ and lawyers on retainer....who do you think the odds are in favor of ?

A person is NOT doing livery until a person is actually in a car and paying for a service ....well at least in my opinion and I'd do what I can do to potentially NOT get screwed....

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Great examples. In favor of the insurance company.
The kid knows where the BK is . He’s not driving distracted looking for someone he doesn’t know. Then stopping suddenly when he sees the passenger.
Also, he probably spends 20 minutes going to work on a somewhat familiar route instead of spending hours per day looking for passengers.

If you want to make a living in your car, be willing to pay a commercial type premium.
Uber is similar to the yellow cube syndrome. I want the income without paying the routine expenses.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

There are several insurance companies who are now offering "gig economy" insurance to people who drive for Lyft or Roadie, some carry people other packages.