Are sprinters worth the time financially?

antdub33

Seasoned Expediter
IM looking to get into expediting still researching the companies that are out there, but I have read a lot of what the professionals have to say on this site the men and women who are out there earning this living every day so IM looking to you for a little honest insight and openness as to the reality of this. Right now IM curious as to what the profits of some sprinters are and what the layover is roughly between loads. Keeping in mind I live in PA on the I-81 corridor and also IM aware of depending on how the freight is running. So please feel free want as much input as all of you are willing to give a potential newbie like myself thank all of you for your time, input and the knowledge that you carry!

JoeMP2

Seasoned Expediter
I have been operating Ford E-350,s w/7.3litre diesel for last seven years. Obviously, I am a big fan of this model as a good used truck can be purchased cheaply and will repay for itself many times over. I understand many folks are drawn to the Sprinter for various reasons. From my vantage point I find the Sprinter cost-prohibitive. I run the E-350 with nearly no interruption to about 700,000 miles and trade for another. Legendary performance and reliability for a fraction of the cost of a Sprinter. Nice not having big payments. No knock against the Sprinter, I am sure they are a great product. To underscore my thinking: currently operating 2001 ford E-350 purchased 2 years ago for $9500, generates $65k annually. I will get 4 or 5 years service from this truck. Will Sprinter give same service? I don't know.

antdub33

Seasoned Expediter
Wow thanks Joe so you have been doing cargo now for 7 years? So what is your weight time like in between loads? and how long would you say your out at one tie? Again thanks for your input!

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Advantages of a Sprinter.1) Room for a Big Sleeper which is good if your out for a few weeks at a time. 2) Rook to stand up in Straight.
3) Able to carry the Ocasional Light C load.

Disadvantages of a Sprinter. 1) Big Bucks, Your layover time depends on the carrier you choose and the area your in. Which is the same as any Cargo Van., I feel I'm Just as competive with my 03 Gmc as a Sprinter. I would Love a Spriter just for the sleeper, but till the price comes down or the Freight Rates go up,I'm keeping my paid for van.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

antdub33

Seasoned Expediter
So fastman i take it you lay over at a hotel obviously and with that in mind do you use that as a tax right off? Thanks for your input !

JoeMP2

Seasoned Expediter
as for wait times between loads, yesterday was an anomaly. between noon and midnight I ran two loads. Delivered a 200 mile run to knoxville area and immediately was dispatched on another load to henderson,ky. total of nearly 500 paid miles and I am back at home. Typically, when expediting is at what I consider a normal pace(which it isn't right now) my expectations are to get a load offer everyday Monday thru Friday, with some offers on weekends. Since starting with P2 in October 2001, I have run approx 1200 loads . About 200 loads a year more or less. Sometimes I wait for a couple days between load offers, sometimes a few hours. I try to be proactive by positioning myself where I hope trucks are needed. Forecasting freight movement is not an exact science. Like everyone else, I hate long waits and work feverishly to avoid them.

antdub33

Seasoned Expediter
this may sound like a dumb question but i do just want to make sure im so use to keeping paper logs from doing linehaul, but I would think with cargo that it wouldnt be required? Also I have been hearing and with some research seems that the top 3 would be landstar fedex and panther? Anyone have cargo info on either one or all? Thank again for this information very helpful.

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
OTHERS MAY TELL YOU DIFFERENTLY BUT I WOULD NOT RECCOMEND A SPRINTER DUE TO THE COST I ALWAYS HAD A VAN AND I VERY RARLY SLEPT IN MOTEL YES IT CAN GET A LITTLE CRAMPED AT TIMES THE SAVINGS ARE WORSE IT

JoeMP2

Seasoned Expediter
I have never kept a log book while operating a 1-ton cargo van. That is a huge selling point for me. I don't need to be hassled by government operatives packing heat and a badge. I admire straight truck and T/T drivers for their willingness to endure harassment while trying to earn a living. I have heard Alabama requires cargo vans to keep logs if passing thru their state w/HazMat. I don't know if this is true since I often get conflicting opinions on this point. If I was required to keep a log book and observe HOS, I could not earn a living with a cargo van. The money just isn't there if limited to standard HOS.

antdub33

Seasoned Expediter
Was thinking that but again you would know better then I would and thanks joe your given me alot of good information!

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No I Tough if out in my van I have a comfortable bunk I built, But I don't stay out for weeks at a time I'm home most weekends and at least once during the week.

Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
been running a sprinter 2.5 years 2005 model 250,000 miles. 24 mpg average cost 10,000 more but its paid for itself in mileage and small straight truck loads at 1.00 per mile. zero repairs zero downtime...fortunate yes... so with the increased mileage and the extra cost paid for,(van paid for) its almost all profit from here on out

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
The top 3 or 4 or 5; ad infinitum.....is the one that best fits you.

If you are even remotely considering staying a motel, you may really want to look the Sprinter with the sleeper unit.

But if temperatures (hot or cold) affect you adversely it may require you to idle the Sprinter more for heating or cooling. The additional fuel and increased maintenance cycle will also impact your bottom line.

Just a couple of things to think about.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I own a 2005 Sprinter and I feel that the extra head room and space for a sleeper is worth the investment. I can carry three skids because my sleeper folds up and that helps me to get loaded a little more. Is that worth the extra investment??....NOPE. Bear in mind that you are living in a tin can out there on the road. For some people it can be very hard on the morale so creature comforts count for a lot. It's not the extra skid that counts. It's the standing headroom and the living space that makes the difference.
Sprinters aren't the only vehicles that offer this living space. Aerocels, extended roofs and, cutaway vans can give you as much room for a little less money. I have seen used (single wheeled) cutaways for sale at very reasonable prices. I know I will definately be looking at these other options when it's time to replace my Sprinter.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Keeping Logs in a cargo van, if you carry Haz-mat you do, if you go into Alabama you do, Otherwise no you don't have to Log a cargo van

Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Great post Tom,

Nice to have an owner give the pros and cons.

One other aspect of the Sprinter is "TMV" (True Market Value).

Sprinters are in high demand by the service industry (plumbers, electricians, small package delivery services, etc.); therefore, when you ask for a discount they look at you like you have lost your mind.

Conversely, you can purchase a cutaway at flat invoice and apply any rebates that are current. When you compare ACTUAL purchase prices, as opposed to just looking at the MSRP's, that is when you will immediately see the huge cost difference between the Sprinter and a cutaway with an Aerocell.

I also believe that folks opt for the Sprinter, because it is usually an immediate transaction. They get the urge to expedite and the Sprinter is sitting there ready to roll. If you want a cutaway with features that make driving more pleasurable, you'll have to order the cutaway, wait on it to be delivered to Aerocell and then wait for them to mount the cargo box. You probably looking at 8-10 weeks. Yes, Aerocell doea have a pool of cutaways, but they are pretty bare bones.

antdub33

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Honda if you don’t mind me asking ,who do you run for? And what kind of sprinter do you have? I know Dodge has one out but not sure as of yet what the durability is like with them also know of freightliner having a sprinter model as well so if you can provide a little insight on that will be greatly appreciated.

antdub33

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for your input dhall I understand there are a ton of carriers out there and all of them have alot to offer depending on the person but those were the 3 that I have been doing some research on and was asking the question to see if anyone from those carriers had any feedback or knowledge as to their experiences with those particular companies. Thanks again for your feedback all IM getting is very much appreciated!

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
i have a 2005 hightop longwheel base model, the newer ones 2007 and 2008 have a longer model yet, up to friday i ran for panther..no complaints there..however am going to orientation next monday nov 05 with bolt...as far as sprinter problems and there used to be many on the earlier models, most were the egr valves, however when someone tells me nightmares about there sprinter the first thing i ask them is or rather told them was i bet you drove 75-80 mph consistently, and there repy was and is always yes...well the sprinter is not made for that..keep it in its sweet spot which is 2500 rpms which equals 65 mph, and it will last, time after time i see sprinters flying by me at 80 mph and you can bet they are the ones calling them junk..at 80 mph you are getting less then 20 mpg which is a loss of 20-25 percent in fuel mileage..i just dont get it....i have never been late on a load, and usually get there many hours ahead of delivery, and making more money thru the fuel surcharge, and thats what this business is about,MAKING MONEY, otherwise we wouldnt be in it.if you wanna drive your load at 80 mph get a gas van or a ROCKET SHIP, gas vans are considerably cheaper, and if you are going to run the crap out of it they are much cheaper to repair..

antdub33

Seasoned Expediter
Sound advice thanks honda so let me ask you I have been doing a lot of looking and i see that there are a few that are for sale used as well ranging from 80,000miles to i think i seen one that had about 200 some odd thousand I know some say it depends on how it was taken care of which is a given but would it even be worth to invest in a used sprinter?