Are Endorsements / Certs Worth It?

StrongSolo84

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I’ve worked in logistics for 15 years on the procurement/shipper/receiver side and most recently as a brokerage account manager. I started researching Sprinters and expediting beck in 2018. When I was about to pull the trigger I was promoted at work. I kept looking in to it and almost bought a large straight in 2020, right before the shutdowns. I’m hoping that with all the reading I’ve done, I can pull in $80-90k as a Sprinter O/O. I know that’s optimistic, but I’m of the belief it’s attainable if I do it right and get a little luck. I also know large straight (especially team) is more income, but I can’t afford that cost to start.

To keep startup/early costs down I plan to lease on. Looking at Panther, Bolt, Tristate, Load1 and Expeditus. I’m based outside Detroit, so there seems to be some strong regional companies and lanes. Obviously I fear that also means over-saturation. But I’m more than willing to go OTR.

Sorry for rambling, but thought it may help. It’s most likely that the carriers will require me to get a CDL-C to lease on. Is there enough freight out there for Sprinters to make any additional certs (haz-mat, tanker, TWIC, alcohol, etc.) worth the cost and time? Love the idea of more freight potential, just not sure the practicality. Thank you!

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is the only way it's worth it (my opinion)

Certs are useless on their own without a requirement to use them

But ask yourself do you want to compete on price with freight anyone off the street is allowed to deliver, or do you want authority to be one of the only individuals available that can do a job?

If you are like everybody else the only way you are seeing work is if it isn't worth the time of the huge freight conglomerate that gave it to you.

I can't give you specifics being Canadian but the world opened up for me when I accepted getting certs to authorize me to do stuff I'd previously literally be sent to jail if I touched it

If you don't know about the type of work that REQUIRES special licenses or permits, you may be footing the bill yourself for no apparent reward until you accidentally stumble onto a situation where you can apply it

My own situation I'd nearly forgotten applying and getting approvals when I finally went on my first near $6 a mile work

Ya it was unbelievably worthwhile. But there was a huge time delay before I could actually use it and reap the rewards

If you don't have it, you'll never be offered the opportunity.

Last caveat - I'm partnered with an absolutely huge company and its not something you'd ever be offered as an independent

If you can afford a bit of fees and a headache from the tests, I'd 100% go for it

Reactions: StrongSolo84