APU's best bang for the $

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
I'm starting to research and plan to purchase a new apu. Mine has a lot of hours on it and the last time i had it serviced the tech. said I would be lucky to make it through the summer.
I would like to get some input from anyone with recent experience in a purchase of this nature. THANKS

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
Yamaha inverter genset ceramic heater and a portable AC. and if the genset fals to where it can't be repaired throe ie out and buy another one!!

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
Thanks I'll look into that. I already have a a Freedom 458 inverter. I'll call the Taylor made place. My ac, heater and bunk heater work great. May i can get a new apu and condenser to fit what i have. It doesn't hurt to ask.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Well, let's start with this:

What kind of APU do you have now, and why, specifically, is the tech saying that it's life is waning? Could it be someone trying to sell you a new one?

We have a Proheat Gen 4, built in 2005. It has a Kubota Z482e engine, with over 18,000 hours on it.

What I don't like: It's loud. Not Rigmaster loud, but not far off. The generator (which, BTW, we're replacing, again, Monday) produces 3500 watts of AC power. Sounds sufficient, but that powers the Climate Control Unit, and little else.
The CCU has a tough time keeping the sleeper cool in anything more than 85 degrees F. Parts are pricy. A Carrier dealer will charge close to $400 for an alternator. Finding one at an alternator shop can save you $200 easy.....if you can find an alternator shop (they're a dying breed). The generator head (which we replace roughly every year) is about $7-800, just for the part.

The good:

The CCU heats the sleeper well. The coolant lines are plumbed into the truck's engine, so there are never cold truck-start issues. The engine is a Kubota. Built like a brick $hithouse. Service intervals are 500 hours. Engine parts are easy to come by. Most TA's and Petro's stock the filters. They're fairly easy to work on.

We have zero experience with a TK Tripac, but they are more quiet (run at 1800 RPM, versus the Proheat/Carrier at 3600). They produce all DC power, that is inverted. The AC is run off an engine-driven compressor. TK provides AGM batteries, which have a no-questions replacement warranty (4 years, I think). Heat is provided by an Espar heater, I believe. New Tripacs, from what I've read (the Evolution) are problematic. They are the only APU on the market that offers a diesel particulate filter. Technically, they are the only unit that's CARB-approved. Service intervals are 800 hours.

The Carrier, Tripac, and Rigmaster APU's are around $10k installed.

Our next setup:
An Onan Quiet Diesel, 7500 watts or higher; roof air, and Espar. Very, very quiet. You can hold a conversation standing next to one without raising your voice. Downside is service intervals.....150 hours. I'm told they're easy to service yourself, which is good, as few places outside of the dealers can service them.

Probably going to be about $12k all in. The roof air is huge, IMHO. We adore our rest, and I can't sleep when it's hot, and I hate idling.

Hope this helps.

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, let's start with this:

What kind of APU do you have now, and why, specifically, is the tech saying that it's life is waning? Could it be someone trying to sell you a new one?

We have a Proheat Gen 4, built in 2005. It has a Kubota Z482e engine, with over 18,000 hours on it.

What I don't like: It's loud. Not Rigmaster loud, but not far off. The generator (which, BTW, we're replacing, again, Monday) produces 3500 watts of AC power. Sounds sufficient, but that powers the Climate Control Unit, and little else.
The CCU has a tough time keeping the sleeper cool in anything more than 85 degrees F. Parts are pricy. A Carrier dealer will charge close to $400 for an alternator. Finding one at an alternator shop can save you $200 easy.....if you can find an alternator shop (they're a dying breed). The generator head (which we replace roughly every year) is about $7-800, just for the part.

The good:

The CCU heats the sleeper well. The coolant lines are plumbed into the truck's engine, so there are never cold truck-start issues. The engine is a Kubota. Built like a brick $hithouse. Service intervals are 500 hours. Engine parts are easy to come by. Most TA's and Petro's stock the filters. They're fairly easy to work on.

We have zero experience with a TK Tripac, but they are more quiet (run at 1800 RPM, versus the Proheat/Carrier at 3600). They produce all DC power, that is inverted. The AC is run off an engine-driven compressor. TK provides AGM batteries, which have a no-questions replacement warranty (4 years, I think). Heat is provided by an Espar heater, I believe. New Tripacs, from what I've read (the Evolution) are problematic. They are the only APU on the market that offers a diesel particulate filter. Technically, they are the only unit that's CARB-approved. Service intervals are 800 hours.

The Carrier, Tripac, and Rigmaster APU's are around $10k installed.

Our next setup:
An Onan Quiet Diesel, 7500 watts or higher; roof air, and Espar. Very, very quiet. You can hold a conversation standing next to one without raising your voice. Downside is service intervals.....150 hours. I'm told they're easy to service yourself, which is good, as few places outside of the dealers can service them.

Probably going to be about $12k all in. The roof air is huge, IMHO. We adore our rest, and I can't sleep when it's hot, and I hate idling.

Hope this helps.

I have an Onan and it's the best generator I have ever had. They are super easy to service (takes about 30 mins to replace 3 filters and change the oil), but most TA's, Petros and Speedco can do it for you. Just make sure you have your own filters.
I run full synthetic in mine and change it every 400 hours ( they recommend 150 hours, but IMHO that's just overkill in our application) Unit currently has 16,000 hours on it and runs like a champ.

I think that on the newer units, the service intervals have been increased to 400 hours.

If you search around, a low hour Onan can be picked up for about $4-5k. These usually come out of wrecked RV's and have less than 2000 hours on them.

Joe

Reactions: usafk9

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Our next setup:

That's the way I plan to go as well.

I'm also curious why you were told that you can expect a problem. The engines in these APUs can run for a lot of hours. The Perkins in my Rigmaster has over 24,000 hours on it and I'm not expecting it to fail anytime soon. Of course, I've had it since new so it's been properly maintained. OTOH, I suppose it could puke tomorrow.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just put a down payment on a refurb from taylormade. Guy knows what he is talking about and just a conversation with him leads me to believe he does good work. I will have it installed in a couple of weeks, and it is half the rice of new..

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
You all have given me a lot of material to think and research. I appreciate it. Now I'm even more confused. Jk thanks

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
I have 12000 hrs on mine. I've reinsulated it and lined all the doors with foam pipe and wrap for noise factor. Ive also fiberglassed holes rust holes up on both the main unit and condenser. I think the water pupm is ready to go. It was leaking. I flushed it and now its not.
I probably could put money into it and keep it going. I dont like reaal cold. Heck most the time if it's cool at night (74'+-) i just crack a window a put my vent on. My biggest annoyance is fumes. I have a nice filter but if i can park up wind from the crowd I'm good.
When summer hit full on is when I will run the ac all night or day, whenever I'm sleeping.
I'm at the place where i want less noise. So that along with normal wear items going out is pushing me towards a new one.
So as i said , everyone who chimed in on my request for information, thanks. And id welcome more.

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
After research and the information from the forum, I made a purchase from Taylor Made APU.
This place is not only a APU sales and service but
"Taylor made truck and trailer repair" services trucks, trailers of all makes. Very professional.
I'm very pleased with my new rebuild carrier apu. I chose the carrier as it was an easy match to my electronics. Next will be the roof mount ac.
Thanks again for the info.

Attachments

• 1441137098602.jpg
    1441137098602.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: xiggi and Turtle

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
After research and the information from the forum, I made a purchase from Taylor Made APU.
This place is not only a APU sales and service but
"Taylor made truck and trailer repair" services trucks, trailers of all makes. Very professional.
I'm very pleased with my new rebuild carrier apu. I chose the carrier as it was an easy match to my electronics. Next will be the roof mount ac.
Thanks again for the info.
Almost done with my upgrade. I have the controls left to install on my Coleman Roughneck roof top AC.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
I'm starting to research and plan to purchase a new apu. Mine has a lot of hours on it and the last time i had it serviced the tech. said I would be lucky to make it through the summer.
I would like to get some input from anyone with recent experience in a purchase of this nature. THANKS
sorry, can't help you with the apu, btw, like your stars and bars on rainbow background, interesting.

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
So my Coleman Roughneck roof top AC is all hooked up and running.

What a difference.

The install was not that bad, I did it myself.

My truck already had a vent that was the perfect size as most are for a roof mount ac.

I wanted to keep my vent but did not want another hole in my roof.

Of course not doing this before did present a few bumps in the road that

I want to share in case anyone else is going install one.

I removed my original ac that came with the apu.on located under the bunk.

I kept the control circuit board that I was able to connect my 120 ac connection
For my new ac.
I was told to keep the three capacitors so I took a 2x4 drilled holes that
They sit in and mounted to the floor and I stuffed some foam to snug them in place.

When I ordered the unit they sent the wrong controls and inside plate, smaller than correct one.

It was for an install on a ducted unit with a wall mount thermostat.

One of the down sides of ordering online.

Now everything was going good but I did not take into account my cabinets inside
Which didn't allow the conrol, face plate to fit. I was able to trim away 1 of 2 air outlets. I used a jigsaw with a fine
blade and I put masking tape on both side to stop any splintering.

The unit still puts out plenty on low cool to cool the sleeper and cab which when tested it was 90+ w/ 80% humidity.

I'm going to put in a power source selector switch so I can run off shore power, right now
The new ac runs off the generator like the other ac.

I'm very happy with the outcome.

I did look on YouTube to see if anyone posted a install on a truck and only came up with RV's. I didn't search for hours maybe there is something out there.

If anyone has a specific question I can answer feel free to message me.

Attachments

• 1442515187466.jpg
    1442515187466.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Reactions: paulnstef39