Anyone see this yet?

1CHINGON

Seasoned Expediter
If the 10 hr rule becomes the rule, one, many will go broke, and two, we will need to allow more foreigners in to fill in for the hours we can't drive. Not bad. We continue to enrich others at a pace that can't be stopped. Not only does this country need to throw the bums out, you need to fire the bureaucrats that have no clue. We'll see who gets rich off of this rule.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
This is old news, and so far has not gotten anywhere with FMCSA. Ralph Nader's group was pushing for that a year or so ago. I guess he didn't factor in that if each driver works one hour less, it will mean that we will need more trucks on the road to make up for it.

Remember, big trucks are the Devil and the root cause of all of society's problems.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
If the 10 hr rule becomes the rule, one, many will go broke, and two, we will need to allow more foreigners in to fill in for the hours we can't drive. Not bad. We continue to enrich others at a pace that can't be stopped. Not only does this country need to throw the bums out, you need to fire the bureaucrats that have no clue. We'll see who gets rich off of this rule.

I dont see alot going broke just due to this,,if so those are propely in trouble before this passes???
The unions will benefit,,tow truck operators,, and of course the feds will benefit by collecting fines for HOS violations.
Like said, this is old news and I don't like it but with my carrier I dont see much of a problem anyways as we rarely do a 11 hour drive anyways..I don't want to drive 11 hours anymore either..But in the same breath I don't want to sit for the extra hour either.
I see a chance in the future to hold dispatch hostage to rescue a out of hours load because I wont start my log book for a 2 hour drive.:D

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that this was old news. I just saw it for the first time last night on the news. It's been about 5 years since I drove truck so I've been out of loop on the current happenings for awhile. Just thought I'd share it. For a team I don't see it being a problem but for singles it could be. 10 on/10 off, 4 on = 14 hours/day driving, 11 on/ 10 off/3 on = 14 hours/day driving. So I guess really there is no difference there. I guess if you had a load that was going to take 11 hours and you only had your 10 to do it. You'd have to wait 10 hours to finish the delivery.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
No need to apologize,,Its properly more like current news and and not old news,,,, still in the making..
Like I said I don't think it will affect me much..As I empty out I report my duty time with each load. I think dispatch will go thru a short learning curve. If hours don't allow it I don't accept load offer. (most of the time)

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
I mentioned in another thread that what might affect me the most is not being able to do a reset more than once a week.

Jim F

shrek120

Seasoned Expediter
34 hour restart but you need 2 -12 midnight to 6 am consecutive off periods to use so it can put you off for a couple days wich is BS. we need to educate these fools and fight that bullsheeet

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Before the 34 hr reset and 11 hr driving days,I use to run solo and made a good living doing the old 10 hrs driving, of course we only had to do 8 hr brakes for sleep back .

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
This is old news, and so far has not gotten anywhere with FMCSA. Ralph Nader's group was pushing for that a year or so ago. I guess he didn't factor in that if each driver works one hour less, it will mean that we will need more trucks on the road to make up for it.

Remember, big trucks are the Devil and the root cause of all of society's problems.

Actually , it's the Teamsters pushing for it . They contributed over $2 million to key Democrats during the 2008 election campaigns . Among those receiving contributions was Frank Lautenberg (D , NJ ) who was the main one pushing for a review of FMCSR .

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
A solo driver I know told me that if they change drive time to 10 hours his company is going to change the speed limiter settings from 64 to 72 so they can still get the same miles.
I guess driving 10 hours at 70 will be safer than 11 at 64.:eek: