anyone going to buy a new 2010

touble

Seasoned Expediter
With freight as slow as what it is and the low trade in price for your old truck, is anyone going to buy a new 2010 expediter? After looking at the various trucks, the new EPA emissons add on's and last but not least the Huge Price Tag, all I can say is WOW! I have a 2006 Sterling with all the bells, plus a APU. The truck is in excellent condition, with 390,000 miles and the average trade in, from 4 dealers was 22,500. Don't think so boys. Anyone done any better?

paid vacationer

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 2001 that I'll drive til they quit making parts for it. Then, I'll try making my own parts......so to answer your question indirectly, i hope dealerships have plenty of decks of cards for time killing purposes.

touble

Seasoned Expediter
You know, the Dealers act as if they have a bunch of money and could care less if you buy a truck or not. They won't deal or come off there price what so ever. I plan to keep this bus for a long time and like you run this truck until she will run no more.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You got a couple things working against you right now.

one is you are trading in a Sterling. Dealers are worried people will not want to buy used Sterlings for fear they won't be able to get parts or service as Sterling is no more. This is complete BS but public opinion is rarely rooted in any kind of logic right? Freightliner has said they will support Sterling for 10 years.

The dealers have very little room to move on the new stuff. Most of the "discount" you get is what's called factory concession. The OE actually lowers the price by giving the dealer a break and that gets passed on (hopefully) to you. While the car companies might want to drop the prices to "move em out" truck makers have rarely done this. They seem to do the opposite and slow the factories down and wait it out. When they do sell a truck they will make good profit on it as the "deals" just don't happen. I think it has to do with the fact that people NEED to buy a truck most of the time and people WANT to buy a car most of the time. Who has the upper hand in each case?

That said there are deals to be had, you just need to find a dealer who NEEDS to sell you a truck more than you NEED to buy it.

touble

Seasoned Expediter
Piper; I don't understand how a dealer can sit on a new truck, say a 07 and ask for the same price 3 years later. Someone is taking a big hit. I don't think it the dealer.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Piper; I don't understand how a dealer can sit on a new truck, say a 07 and ask for the same price 3 years later. Someone is taking a big hit. I don't think it the dealer.

Depending on how the dealer acquired the truck, he may have been running up whats called flooring fee's to the OE and may need to sell it at maximum profit just to pay the fee's. If he does a "deal" he may not have enough to cover what he owes the OE. When times are tight and he doesn't have a lot of profit from other sales to cover the loss, he is better to sit on it and hope he can sell it at max price or at least wait till things pick up so he can offset the loss better.

It is really weird how some dealerships get the trucks they have on the lot and more interestingly how they pay for 'em!