Any Type 1 Diabetic drivers here?

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
I'm a veteran with Type 1 Diabetes (meaning insulin dependent). It's why I'm not still in the Army. Are there any other diabetics around here, especially those with Type 1?

I'm a little worried about trying to pass a DOT Physical for the card I would need in order to hook up with a carrier (with my own van). It looks like all big carriers require the DOT card, even if it's only to come on board and then not after that.

So if you're out there, what can you tell me about the DOT requirements? Was your examiner really hard about it? Did they just need proof of a decent A1C, or a paper from your doctor, or actually 90 days of meter records like the DOT page says?

Thanks.

Reactions: hossfly2

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
What are you planning on driving?
The medical card is pretty much standard for any reputable carrier.....if a fleet owner or carrier says you don't need one then run away fast because they don't care about you. Medical cards provide protection for everyone because it says YOU got checked out and you won't just drop dead of a heart attack.

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm a veteran with Type 1 Diabetes (meaning insulin dependent). It's why I'm not still in the Army. Are there any other diabetics around here, especially those with Type 1?

I'm a little worried about trying to pass a DOT Physical for the card I would need in order to hook up with a carrier (with my own van). It looks like all big carriers require the DOT card, even if it's only to come on board and then not after that.

So if you're out there, what can you tell me about the DOT requirements? Was your examiner really hard about it? Did they just need proof of a decent A1C, or a paper from your doctor, or actually 90 days of meter records like the DOT page says?

Thanks.
I am not an individual who has diabetes. But I can tell you that most places are quite sticklers when issuing medical cards. I'm sure if everything checks out you will get a card but they might only issue you a "one year card".

I'd probably say 95% of carriers require a valid medical card and long form. Some will even require you to get a DOT physical care centers they prefer, even if you had just got yours done a month previously. So keep that in mind.

Like Dan said..... If a company doesn't require it.... Do not waste your time as they are not going to be worth much of anything.