any RC hobbyists?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Are there any RC hobbyists and if so what is your particular area of interest?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Are there any RC hobbyists and if so what is your particular area of interest?

If this means Radio Controlled Devices, I will share this. One day after a PU in Van Wert, Oh. I spotted a group of boys on the curb. I found out what they were doing when my Dualls crunched their RC Car into the asphalt.

R

riverrat

used to take my helicopter with me on the road but way too much radio interference around the truck stops, got tired of rebuilding it after all them dam kickers got done messing with it

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm thinking about an RC helicopter and a simulator for less expensive learning/crashing. With a van I can find places away from the truckstop and hopefully away from interference.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
If this means Radio Controlled Devices, I will share this. One day after a PU in Van Wert, Oh. I spotted a group of boys on the curb. I found out what they were doing when my Dualls crunched their RC Car into the asphalt.

LOL too funny Crunch :eek:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I do not fly RC stuff of my own, but a friend of my let me fly his RC plane years ago, was fun and I didn't crash, but he held the transmitter with me to be sure,lol. When I was a kid in the late 50s me and my buddies flew the U control on the string as we called it,,.o49 engine stuff. The engines then were 5 bucks, now I understand they are 60 or 80 bucks, omy., and that was yesterday,,,and yesterdays goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. amen I'm old...................Vietnam dude,,1969 to 1970, VF-142 Ghost Riders.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I've wanted to do a RC car or truck, but the thought of someone running over it while I play around in the parking lot just doesn't sit well with me. So I stick to the 1/24 scale model cars and trucks. This weeks project is a 49 Mercury chopped lead sled. Plus I am starting on scratch building a custom 1/24th scale 120" sleeper for a special project that I have put off for too long.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I thought about a car or truck but decided against it after quite a bit of online reading. The consensus is the car/truck gets old and boring fairly quickly unless you can find a track and run with others. I also figured it was only trading vertical crashing for horizontal crashing with a truck. With a heli the blades generally will fold along the tail boom so they don't take up a lot of space in transit. The few hours I've already spent on the simulator shows there are a LOT of hours to be spent on the simulator without totally mastering things or getting bored. Once it gets pretty easy then it's time to choose a different model and start the learning curve again.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
in jackson ms there is a hobby shop off of i55 just south of i20.He has a simulated nascar track,banked turns and all
dont know if hes still there,been quite a few years since I was there,use to do my laundry across tha parking lot from his store,made for awesome saturdays

aileron

Expert Expediter
I fly model airplanes and helicopters. Don't have too much time to play with my toys anymore. Never took them with me on the road. Not enough room for everything in my van.
My latest project you can see in my avatar. It has a real jet engine. Never flew it though. To fly a jet you need to find someone to sign you off that you are competent enough to fly them, cause they can do some substantial damage when they go in. After that you get a certificate and only then you can fly them jets by yourself. One day I will fly it, but who knows, since I am getting married on June 27th, and then I will have even less time for toys.