any NE regional carriers?

redwolf

Expert Expediter
Just wondering if anyone knows of any carriers that run primarily in the northeast? Preferably no canada or nyc! I've been driving for about 10 years local and am considering the possability of expediteing in a c unit.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We drive for FedEx CC, not recruiting.

Since no one offered to touch your question, I'll give you what we have experienced.

NE has no expedited companies that we have found in our trips there. We have been up there quite a few times, and enjoyed the experience. Our C truck bounced around NE like a pinball, racking up at least one run per day on some trips, and got the immediate long haul to the SE or midwest on other occasions.

We also had the runs in and out of Canada or sometimes NY.

FedEx used to have a local truck designation, where you would work a 200 mi radium and return to the home area for a reload. Given your question, I would ask the recruiters if they still offer this.

Otherwise, I have seen no other expeditor outfits working NE.

Vernon in C2197

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Redwolf;

Being based out of the New England area would most likely be a tough area for any expedite company to move you out of, or back to, on a regular basis. Even the largest carriers may have a difficult time - I cannot speak for them.
Many owner operators who are based in an area outside the "heartland" of expediting would be expected to stay out on the road for longer periods of time, and are generally not compensated for their trips home or back into the service areas. It can be done - you just incur longer deadheads home and to pickup loads.
Suggestion would be to contact all of the larger carriers to see if there is an interest in placing a vehicle in your area.
Good luck, I wish you the best!

HotFr8Recruiter
:+

redwolf

Expert Expediter
Thank you for the response. Still thinking about it, going to have to do a lot more research. No Canada or NYC is just a dream! Guess living outside the freight lanes I was more concerned with getting home without to much dh. Seeing that I will be a solo unit I was just curious as to if any of the carriers could keep a truck busy within a 400-500 mile radius. Don't think I would be seeing to many 700 mile runs!

redwolf

Expert Expediter
Thank you for the info! I'll really have to do my homework! Just don't know how feasable it would be to try getting back home. Certainly can't afford to be dh 2-3 hundred miles everytime I want to see the homestead, might just be seeing it on a permenant basis with that business plan!

redwolf

Expert Expediter
Thank you for the info! I am going to start playing phone tag with some company's and see what comes of it! Just starting to do my homework, have a lot to learn!

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Redwolf, a follow-up.

We have had the notion several times to just stay in NE and work it. We stayed there over a month once, but don't do it often because fuel is high and few truckstops.

We generally get one offer a month for NE, but have taken 2 sometimes.

Since you sound solo, it should be easy to stay in NE and work. We have been the only NE truck several times, and found plenty of work.

Vernon in C2197