any info on CTX please?

chaz

Expert Expediter
Hello,
I emailed CTX awhile agao asking them if they accepted cargo vans for expediting as I figured it would be less costly for me to get into.Well,its been a about a month or so and they finally emailed me stating that they are recruiting 3/4 or 1 ton cargo vans.Can anyone tell me if they are a good company to work for and if you can make some good money owning and driving a cargo van solo for them.I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.I am getting permanently laid off this summer.Just dont know exactyly when.Hate to give up my severance package,which is only 9 weeks pay,but if I can make good money with ctx,I was thinking of giving them a go at it.I ammmmmmmmm just asking because as I said,I'm stuck here.I would probably have to get financing for the van before I get laid off,or could you get financing after if the bank knows that you are going to work for someone? Also,what kind of vans do expeditors usually like,Ford 250,350 etc. with or without side windows? Also with Ctx,is there good home time if you have to be home for an occasion and where are they located.I am in pittsburgh,pa area and want to stay busy.Thank you all in advance for any input.
Chaz :D

BIGRIG_787

Expert Expediter
Hi, Chaz I do not drive for ctx but I think that there in Ann Arber MI. I drive a ford f350 for FedEx it has no side windows.I would not want side windows it helps keep the in side darker when your trying to sleep with out. Well good luck. Hope every thing works out for you.:D

X X

Expert Expediter
Don't know much about CTX but I would strongly recomend you to get financing for the van before you quit your job. I am talking from personal experience. You will have to bring them a written proof of possible future income from CTX or whoever you will work for and it's to much hassle. About the type of van you should go with, try to get the most for your money, by that I mean try to get one as new as you can, it will increase your chances find work, get 350, or 3500, get it extended, V8 is a must, no side windows would be good, and you should feel comfortable driving it.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
XX There is a mountain of good info here available through the search function. Brew yourself a pot of coffee, search, read, learn. Most of your questions have been answered a bunch of times.

As for the your job situation and purchase of a new van my personal opinion is that you stay with your present job to the bitter end. Get your 9 weeks severence (always good to have a $$ cushion) and make your purchase arrangements for a van *before* you become unemployed. Anyways, that is what I would do in that situation.

Best of luck.

--
Mike N

X X

Expert Expediter
>XX There is a mountain of good info here available through
>the search function. Brew yourself a pot of coffee, search,
>read, learn. Most of your questions have been answered a
>bunch of times.
Say what now?

Trailblazer

Expert Expediter
Hi Chaz,

CTX is located in Detroit, MI. I am signed on with them with a cargo van and also live in Pittsburgh. Give me a call on weekends at 724-255-2566 and I will try to answer your questions.

Jim

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
>>XX There is a mountain of good info here available through
>>the search function. Brew yourself a pot of coffee, search,
>>read, learn. Most of your questions have been answered a
>>bunch of times.
> Say what now?

What I said was 'I am an idiot' ;)

The lesson here folks is to make sure you have had enough coffee BEFORE you start replying to posts so you can get the players right!

--
Mike N

ihatejeffgordon

Expert Expediter
i can't offer any advice on CTX, but i'll chime in on the van issue. a good rule of thumb is ford diesel/chevy gas. if you want a diesel go with the powerstroke ford e350. i, personally, have a chevy g3500 w/350 gas engine. the extended length chevy rides much better than the ford because of the long wheelbase. mine has 115,000 miles, and is still just a baby. (even have original brakes.... tried to get my mechanic to change them, and she said there's no reason to do so.) throw out the stock battery, and get a set of michellins, keep the fluids changed, and count on replacing a fuel pump every 100k mi and you'll do just fine.
i went with back windows / no side windows, and really wish i had the side windows for a little more visibility. you can always put up curtains @ night.
i, too, vote for keeping your job as long as you can, and buying your van first. i did neither of the above. what i got was an astronomical interest rate, and went out on the road with little to no starting capital. you don't want to be there.
good luck -drew

Remember, Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.