Any companies offer group medical insurance for fleet driver to buy into?

carmi777

Seasoned Expediter
Hey guys, I'm a current local truck driver (3 years) in Chicago area w/ hazmat, passport card for border crossings, and clean record, single so no home-time issues. I'm looking for companies that need solo straight truck drivers (would be open to van under right circumstances - purchase assistance, payment take over, etc....).

Prefer company that has a healthy freight load for solos,

good reputation for company as well as fleet owners

A truck that is in good shape, has APU, and comfortable enough for long stretches on road since I have no real home-time issues.

obviously good rates, but a company you enjoy working with/driving for beats out money (then again depends how much you are giving up)

Ideally good group health insurance for independent driver to buy into (real medical not the supplemental type like AFLAC).

I'm trying to save up to buy good van/truck outright, spec out the van, have operating capital, emergency fund, as well as funds to live on for short term so don't want to lose all my savings to one unforeseen medical event (#1 way people lose everything and go into bankruptcy).

Looking to start driving after Easter - beginning of May. Want to use April to find right company/owner/truck as well as prep for life on the road. Thanks.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
-I'm looking for companies that need solo straight truck drivers (would be open to van under right circumstances - purchase assistance, payment take over, etc....).

-Prefer company that has a healthy freight load for solos,

-good reputation for company
-as well as fleet owners

-A truck that is in good shape,
-has APU, and
-comfortable enough for long stretches on road since I have no real home-time issues.

-obviously good rates, but a company you enjoy working with/driving for beats out money (then again depends how much you are giving up)

-Ideally good group health insurance for independent driver to buy into (real medical not the supplemental type like AFLAC).

-Looking to start driving after Easter - beginning of May. Want to use April to find right company/owner/truck as well as prep for life on the road. Thanks.

You don't ask for much, do you? :D

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I think there is something about blurring the lines between employee/contractor if a fleet owner were to offer anything like that.

I wonder if OOIDA being an association has something to offer its members access to? If not, I wonder why?

carmi777

Seasoned Expediter
lol...hey PJ, which part is too much to ask for?...the freight, good company/truck or the insurance?...lol

I figured it would blur the line, that's why I have no prob paying 100% of the insurance cost, just rather it be a group insurance thing because it is cheaper than totally buying it on your own.

It should be no different in principal than a fuel discount, com data card, advance, etc...

OOIDA does offer a group thing but it is an AFLAC type insurance (called supplemental or limited medical where they pay yo XX amount a day while in the hospital, etc....) not the traditional insurance.

Oh yeah one more thing, I've eaten at some of these truck stops, how about some better tasting food?.....lol...who do I talk to about that?..lol