Another Newbie

Scirocco

Rookie Expediter
Hello all,

I've been doing my research, and am now at the point to post and introduce myself and ask a few questions. I've scoured the sites and this forum, read a lot of good information, I appreciate everyone's posts and thank you.

I've been unemployed for years now, and a driver turned me on to this industry a few weeks back. My wife has a government job, and makes under 25k a year, but thankfully we're debt free and frugal, I'm pretty savvy financially speaking.

With that in mind, I'm looking to start out as a O/O, looking in the forums, I find what look to be some decent used Sprinters. My main question is what do I look for or out for when buying a used Sprinter? I would really prefer one with a sleeper, being I plan on being on the road almost constantly. (Love my wife, but she's a pain) Where do you get service?

I've looked at (but haven't talked to yet) the carriers advertising here, but I haven't read any posts about (link removed) anybody got experience with them? Wouldn't mind posts with the top 3 carriers to deal with. :)

I'll call CIS and get a quote for insurance, from what I've read, it's best to carry your own cargo insurance, and ideally 1m liability. Are there any better options or suggestions?

I plan on driving as much as possible, but am trying to budget a minimum. I figure If I can take home $400 a week average (more is better) I'll be fine. That's assuming an average of 1k miles a week and (taking home) .40 cents a mile. Does this sound like a safe minimum? How many miles are you guys averaging a week?

Thank you in advance for reading and your replies. Looking forward to starting the next chapter in my life. :)

Geoff

Last edited by a moderator:

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
Just a suggestion, way don't you check on driving for a fleet owner to get your feet wet so to speak, you will have no large investment and get valuable experience long the way. Then you can buy a truck that will fit your operation.