Another Newbie Question

Mschaefer

Active Expediter
a question like this may have been asked before but i did not find it. So after about a year of researching expediting with a buddy of mine who is an O/O T/T driver threw EO and talking to Carriers and to C/V expediters at truck stops and were ever we see them i have decided this is something i am very interested in doing. We are looking in to getting a Sprinter here real soon so i can get out there and start i have read many post were people are saying make sure you have reserves and that it is not for everyone well i went out with my buddy for 3 months straight in his T/T to make sure this is something i can do and i feel its a good fit for me and i have the reserves put in a secured account ready in case of emergencies.
any how back to the topic i have asked many questions and received many great answers and some not so great :rolleyes:
but after just reading about the safety gear that it is a good idea to keep what other tools or equipment have you guys discovered is great to keep in your rig to help you with day to day operations besides the obvious stuff like a refrigerator microwave and so on that will be all included in the sleeper i am having installed in my C/V but what has made it easier for you. kinda of a long post for a two sentence question if you cant tell i am pretty excited to get this going and i don't want to be out there and say man i wish i had this or that i don't want to use alot of my reserves on thing that i should have had before hand.
Thanks for your guys time,
Mike

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
First you mention Sprinter then later on you said C/V..which is it? Not that it matters much...

I will assume you have a laptop/ Gps device and a paper map of the US?...Basic tools to fix the things that will rattle..LOL Good luck...:)

Oh yeah...a couple spare bulbs would be good...headlights and tail lights maybe even plate lights...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
My advice is to start to with a minimum amount of "stuff". In a van, you'll be able to stop at any walmart (or any other store) and get things that you need. The prices will likely be the same as if you made your purchases at home. Don't fret over the "stuff". You'll be sortin and throwin away soon enough.

Spend your time and energy on who your gonna sign on with and how your gonna turn a profit.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My advice is to start to with a minimum amount of "stuff". In a van, you'll be able to stop at any walmart (or any other store) and get things that you need. The prices will likely be the same as if you made your purchases at home. Don't fret over the "stuff". You'll be sortin and throwin away soon enough.

Spend your time and energy on who your gonna sign on with and how your gonna turn a profit.

Agreed...concentrate on the money!! You will accumulate like a squirrel gathers nuts as you go along on your travels...LOL

Mschaefer

Active Expediter
@ OVM it a sprinter I don't really think about there being a difference in this industry I consider a sprinter to be a c/v but everyone else dose not I will have to remember to specify from now on I mean a sprinter.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Mschaefer

Active Expediter
And I never thought about it that way I just remember riding with my buddy in the t/t and had limited options and most were truck stops were everything cost more but in a sprinter I can go anywhere. Thanks guys

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And I never thought about it that way I just remember riding with my buddy in the t/t and had limited options and most were truck stops were everything cost more but in a sprinter I can go anywhere. Thanks guys

A microwave one of them small 49-69$ ones from Wally World will save ya a bundle...there is a good selection of prepared foods in store now....the plus is making your own coffee without the trudge inside and the long lines...LOL

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
@ OVM it a sprinter I don't really think about there being a difference in this industry I consider a sprinter to be a c/v but everyone else dose not I will have to remember to specify from now on I mean a sprinter.

Sprinters are more sought after in the expediting business due to have the taller cargo space...they also make more money then a regular cargo van:)

Most will call a Sprinter a Sprinter and a cargo van a van, you won't hear most people calling a Sprinter a cargo van, even though technically it is.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sprinters are more sought after in the expediting business due to have the taller cargo space...they also make more money then a regular cargo van:)

Most will call a Sprinter a Sprinter and a cargo van a van, you won't hear most people calling a Sprinter a cargo van, even though technically it is.

It is very hard to manage a Sprinter on CV rates only...the added maintance costs will zap your bottom line..you need to find a carrier that will pay for the extras that you carry...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You mentioned a sleeper. I would not build a permanent one where you can only hold two skids on the floor. A few will argue that point but I think most will agree always be able to move things around and hold 3 full size skids. It can make a big difference especially in the slow times or when your in an area with other drivers. The more options to hold freight the better your chances of success. Some companies will not even hire a van now days that does not have three skid capacity. You can always remove the passenger seat and put the fridge and microwave there.

Also don't weigh yourself down to a point you can only carry a couple thousand lbs. You do not want to overload a sprinter weight wise.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Vans are a very personal kind of thing making for a billion variables, so I would recommend starting out bare minimum even with the fantastic vent. Try one vent and see if another is really necessary--that kind of process. I started with a semi-built-in bunk that I thought would be ideal, and I am now sleeping on a regular camp cot. I started with a monster apu/ac, and it has since been dumped and replaced with a single fantastic vent. As you get comfortable with how the space works with freight then you'll be able to better see what options you want to add and what are feasible. You will come up to speed a lot faster than an expediter newbie, but it still helps to see first-hand what happens to your sleeper space when you start adding freight to it.

I'm reentering the sprinter van world as we speak and my bare minimum looks something like this. E-track and plywood floor. Foil bubble insulation through out. That wonderful fantastic vent. Folding camp cot, sleeping bag, and therma-rest pad (these all pack out of the way if the freight gets too big). One or two action packer kind of boxes to serve as something like foot lockers until you figure out a more permanent storage set up to your liking. Electric cooler. If I recall you use your computer for navigation, so a computer mount, like a Ram system is probably going to be useful.

By autumn you'll know where to have them install your espar heater and what kind of auxiliary batteries you want to add. The extra batteries may come earlier, but the real key is to get out on the road before committing too much to the rigging.

eb

This is from a previous conversation.

eb