And A Hearty Hi-yo Silver....Awaayyy!!

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Time for the change. My co-driver and wonderful wife has decided she wants to get off the road for awhile. I have taken quite alot of time off over the last year or so to finish building our dream/retirement home. We always took the winters off, and this year it´s again somewhere warm. I will probably come back as a single in February, and am considering going TT. We sold the "D" unit and it changes hands next week. I have alot of time to think about it. I have said in the past that companies pay the same dollar figure to move freight. They just distribute it to the owner/driver in different ways. The high dollar loaded mile figure gets eaten away if there´s too much deadhead. Consider this example. A 1000 mile trip at $1.10 per loaded mile comes out to $1100. If you deadhead for 300 miles to pick it up with no deadhead pay, the all miles driven becomes about .85 cpm. 1300 miles driven paid at $1100 equals @.85 cpm. I would like to hear from some of you that have gone to a "C" or a "B". I read a pretty logical argument that highlighted the net to the owner because of the higher possible productivity (no logging), and lower expenses. I can´t remember where I saw it. I would also like to hear from those of you who are single drivers, and why you are driving the vehicle you have.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Good luck with what ever you decide to end up doing. The truckload revenue has been on the rise and I know of several operators that are doing better in the new market place than they did when fuel was less than a dollar a gallon. Go figure? Take your time and evaluate all your options very carefully. Please keep us posted with what direction you go. Drive safe and be profitable!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm solo in a D unit because it seemed the best combination of revenue and maneuverability. There are times it is way too big and there are times I wish I had a super D. As a solo I sometimes wish I'd gone to a Sprinter and configured it as a C capable unit. A bunk that lowers down from the ceiling would allow room for 3 skids deep which could get C rate at times.

I plan to add a tag axle to my unit so I can get E rates at times. This truck is new so it's good for the next 5 years. At the end of that time I'll either get another D, super D or E unit and drive with my better half or I'll probably go to a super B size unit solo and get some C rate loads now and then.

Good luck whatever way you go.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
LDB,you will find that the 5 year thing is usually when you first sign on with a carrier.after you have been with them for 5 years and your truck has been found to be dependable, they will extend that out for you. especially with that brand new sterling that you have,you should be able to go 10 years with that.i mean heck, look at rich m he's still rolling with a 1953 fl70.....LOL.DD.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I put the 5 yrs on there not as a company required thing, although I know that's kind of the generally accepted thing, but as my personal minimum expectation for this truck. I will run it somewhere in the 500k to 750k range and then look into replacements. I want to maximize the lifespan/expense factor and keep it as long as possible but not too long so it costs too much in repairs and opportunity costs by keeping it.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
shhhh.When you think about it why shouldn't a guy who kept his equipment in good shape,has a good performance record,be allowed to keep it running. That 1953 FL 70 still starts,stops and backs up,what more do you need. Even if you go off somewhere keep those jokes coming,everytime I see a new one in the Loading Dock from you, I know it will make me laugh. :p

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
> why shouldn't a guy who kept
>his equipment in good shape,has a good performance record,be
>allowed to keep it running. That 1953 FL 70 still
>starts,stops and backs up,what more do you need.

i coudn't agree more brudder,personally i would like to see you be able to keep her till the speedo comes back to all zeroes. DD.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I agree with DD's post. Even more so with the high fuel & insurance rates. Availability of freight during slow times is also a consideration.
A 53 fl70? Should be just about ready for the National Trucking Museum.
Davekc