An Open letter to Akron and Memphis

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It has been reported that when Fred Smith started FED EX, drivers and pilots often used their own credit cards to purchase fuel. Money was tight, but the people associated with the company felt they were a part of a team. Sadly, that spirit is lacking at FED Ex CC.

What can be done to restore the feeling of teamwork between company and contractors?

1. Give contractor information necessary for them to make sound business decisions.

A, DVA should be updated on a more regular basis.

B. Automatically offer relocation to a truck that has been sitting for more than 24 hours. Also allow them to carry dwell time to offered center if they relocate.

C. Adhere to pickup standards which are in existance ie. pickup in 60 or 90 minuetes. Don't automaticvally offer to the closest truck.

D. You purchased PC Miler. Use it! Each time a pickup or delivery is made, enter the lat. and long. for that location. You will then have accurate directions, and positive mileage.

E. Listen to the people who do the work. Years ago several of us suggested drivers be given promotional mater to distrubute to customers. I understand this will be implemented soon. You didn't need to hire an MBA to come up with an already existing idea.

F. Having trouble covering discounted runs to Canada? Offer a stateside layover option. For auto runs in MI,IN,OH, and ON offer 65% (same as you pay Auto Quick).

G DVA is supposed to make multible decisions per second. However, if you want to relocate dispatch must check with planning. Does planning turn the computer off when they go hom3?

Finally, instill in Dispatchers the fact that the two most important people they talk to are the Customer and the Contractor/Driver. They are the ones who pay their wages.

So, we know that you read these posts. Are any of you ready to address these issues?

Adaire

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey, lets do it. There is strength in numbers. Lets get something together that we can give to other contractors on the road that don't have access to this board. We can hand out informational flyers or something. Anything I can do help, let me know.

Ed

bmarsh

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-00 AT 01:06AM (EDT)[/font][p]Sorry im still learning to post to this forum, my reply is in the
next message.

bmarsh

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-00 AT 01:09AM (EDT)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-00 AT 01:03 AM (EDT)[/font]

OK im just a driver out here with a contractors truck but i do
have to make some decisions on truck location and load acceptance.
The more correct information fed/ex gives me when im on the road the more efiecently i can operate the truck.

As far as moving after 24 hours and carrying dwell time with you, I couldn't agree more. One of the hardest things about this job is sitting and waiting for a load and 24 hours is more than plenty.

Nobody likes to carry discount frieght so fed/ex lets share the wealth and you will have better relations with your contractors and thier drivers.

Dispatchers might find it eaiser to get someone to take those bad loads if everybody would share and work together.

I had my own truck on with TRI-STATE for two years and i felt better with thier first in first out dispatch. As to why i'm not still with them, it was my fault and not theirs.

FED/EX could be great to work for, as i have talked to many contractors or drivers who say it used to be a lot better and it could be again.

Vallery1999

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hello,

I couldn't agree with you more. These are not only things my husband and I talk about frequently, but have also heard other Contractors discuss also. It is also not fair that after 6:00 when you cordinator does go home that you are basically left in the dark with a computer making your layover decisions for you. Try getting a dispatcher to help you on that one. :)

Good Luck to All!