An Injustice Averted

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
2006 Freightliner Columbia, 24 foot dry box, 70 inch factory condo sleeper, Mercedes MBE 4000 with Ultrashift tansmission. Had 618k miles on it when we bought it and now has 783k.

I feel I've repaid the cost of the truck and gotten my money and then some out of it.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Linda and I have taken notice of all the "differences" now being experienced with FCC.
Some are a pain some I could care less and a few I actually like.
Nothing different than any other biz endeavour I have been associated with the past 45 years.
The first month we entered this field I was comparing my experience with other drivers. Inquiring about their success or failures.
At this time, I am still more profitable today than yesterday.
But the gap is narrowing.
If we were to buy a truck it would be a dry box.
Gut feeling and experiencing subtle changes in TVAL have me keeping a critical eye on our business.
Change is hard, not knowing when to change can be harder.
One thing is for sure, this is a business and I have never viewed as a chance to travel and see the country, those are side effects of our occupation. Every job has some.
For now FCC is still a viable place for me to be but I see more and more alternatives becoming available.
Change is the only constant.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Linda and I have taken notice of all the "differences" now being experienced with FCC.
Some are a pain some I could care less and a few I actually like.
Nothing different than any other biz endeavour I have been associated with the past 45 years.
The first month we entered this field I was comparing my experience with other drivers. Inquiring about their success or failures.
At this time, I am still more profitable today than yesterday.
But the gap is narrowing.
If we were to buy a truck it would be a dry box.
Gut feeling and experiencing subtle changes in TVAL have me keeping a critical eye on our business.
Change is hard, not knowing when to change can be harder.
One thing is for sure, this is a business and I have never viewed as a chance to travel and see the country, those are side effects of our occupation. Every job has some.
For now FCC is still a viable place for me to be but I see more and more alternatives becoming available.
Change is the only constant.

Yep, but like I said in that other thread, JUST ONCE I would really like it if one of these mega-companies would be up front about what is going on. If they don't wish to continue in this mode, tell us. Wishful thinking I know.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Yep, but like I said in that other thread, JUST ONCE I would really like it if one of these mega-companies would be up front about what is going on. If they don't wish to continue in this mode, tell us. Wishful thinking I know.

We also are looking this situation over very carefully and I agree with you that it would be nice to have some kind of word from the company rather than to be out here trying to glean information from one another.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We also are looking this situation over very carefully and I agree with you that it would be nice to have some kind of word from the company rather than to be out here trying to glean information from one another.

Allowing rumors to flow is never good.

I understand that no one individual means anything to a company, but, the sort of thing that is going on is just wrong.

IF they are moving away from O/O reefer/TVAL trucks SAY SO and when the break will happen.

A little honesty goes a long way.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
The Hubs just brought up a good question. What are the new contractors being offered. Is there still the "choice" of percentage deals or is FDCC offering flat rate only to the newbies??

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Maybe some of these TVAL loads moved to other divisions within FedEx HealthCare Solutions. New services were announced in January.
Here's the link: FedEx Introduces New Solution for Deep Frozen Shipments | FedEx Global Newsroom

A husband/wife team who was recently at FedEx for TVAL training told us they saw 25 new red FDCC logo reefer trailers in the parking lot, being set up for TVAL work. If you want to know where FDCC TVAL freight is going, you need look no further than the parking lot in Green. You can further confirm it by talking to the drivers of the flat-rate ER-units who report running hard and being dispatched two loads deep with small skid TVAL loads.

(BTW, I have not forgotten about your truck pay for itself question. Thinking my answer through).

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would have cost FDCC LESS if they had taken over the costs of runningtthe reefers in the existing "DR and CR" units, instead of building trailers, and paid US that flat rate. Then they would have been able to keep the experienced teams that they are going to lose if these trends continue.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
While at Fedex for tval training i saw five trailers still in the lot. Three tractors are in the lot,assuming there here for orientation.There are two van's and one straight.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Offer comes in this morning. Reefer load with marginal pay. Run info indicates TVAL tape but it is for freight that does not normally require TVAL service. Call to dispatch reveals that a data logger tape is requested for this non-TVAL load but there is no extra pay to provide the tape.

Message to dispatch: "It is very wrong to charge us $16 a week to have your data logger in our truck and then force us to give away the service. Please take us off this load." Dispatch agreed to our request and took us off the load.

I'm not sure if you didn't get this information, but when the change was made to the FedEx owned dataloggers, we were told that TempAssure would be giving tapes to some customers who request it without making it a Tval load. (I do believe there was quite a bit of whining -myself included- about Tval being dismantled, with everyone paying for TempAssure and getting the tape.) I notice you're not afraid of calling FedEx and asking questions, so it seems likely you would have called Tval at this time -as I did- and asked how things were changing and whether Tval was being "phased out". I was told Tval wasn't changing at all, but TempAssure was improving to compete with other carriers and to give the customers the services they were asking for without the whole Tval package.
I will not go into the differences here, but just printing a tape does not make it a Tval load- there are other differences done by both the driver and at Green.

Also, you seem to be forgetting that all reefer units now have dataloggers, and they are all paying the fee the same as the Tval trucks, without running Tval loads. I can confidently say this, as the non-tval drivers I have met have no clue how to set alarms or change the parameters.
The charge should be thought of the same as the QC units. I'm not happy that a brand new datalogger was tossed for the nearly-same unit that we rent, but it is a new "requirement".

ATeam

Retired Expediter
All of this is of decreasing importance to us. We sent applications in to other carriers a while ago. The FedEx lettering has been off our truck box for two weeks. The box was repainted to avoid ghosting when the new logo goes on.