Am I Nuts??

ExFedEx

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I just got back home to Los Angeles. I left my house Friday evening to go pick up an "A" load in Benicia up north of the Bay area; deadhead was 395 miles. I was told to get rolling Friday evening so the computer would show me in motion, even though the pickup was scheduled for 2:00 p.m. Saturday. I spent Friday night in Bakersfield, picked up Benicia, & headed home. I got home Saturday evening, spent Sunday day with the wife & kids, and left at 6:00 p.m. for Gilbert, Az., just east of Phoenix for a Monday a.m. delivery. From Benicia to Gilbert is 777 miles, + my stop at home which added maybe 30 miles to that. Delivered, deadheaded back home to Los Angeles, 400 miles even. That is 1600 miles give or take a couple, for the sum of $791.62.

It took 4 days to do this. I will admit, my 1st 2 layover options were both Phoenix, but due to personal situations at home (wifes work schedule, kids getting to school, homework, etc..), I took the 3rd option & chose home. Without going home on Sat, or deadheading home it would have been 1172 miles. Is this really worth it?

When I was hired, I was told that the company (guess who?) was not hiring any "A" vans. This year, 90% of my loads have been "A" loads. That leaves 10% are "B" loads, which I was hired to do. Oh gosh, did I forget to mention the "B" loads have been for PPG, Ashland, & Owens Brockway?. Allright, I have had 4 full "B" loads this year, so I shouldn't complain. There is one dispatcher who told me she is afraid to talk to me if all she has is an "A" load to offer, or one of the discounted customers listed above. She gets one of the new people to offer me the loads.

Safe driving to everybody.

doe.mouse

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You aren't the only nut. I took a load from Youngstown OH to Atlantic City NJ, then dead headed to Long Island NY for a pickup back to Youngstown. Total miles 1050. Pay was $750.00. I have a D unit. $.71 per mi. and then there were the tolls. $64.00. Now down to $.65 per mi. Only reason I took it was I needed the money to make this month's truck payment. ( truck is now for sale). I told my dispatcher that was the last one like that that I will take. Might as well lose the truck.