allison or autoshift for Peterbilt 335???

gojack

Expert Expediter
looking at 2 Pete 335's very simular spec's, 2 different dealers.
one has an autoshift the other an allison auto

both 26,000 GVW cummins 260's, airbrakes, air-ride, no engine brake on either, aluminum tank & rims, cab chassis for 26'body

I run local so no sleeper needed.

the Autoshift $55,000 The Allison $54,500

the better choice and why?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
we have a international 7400 with the MD3066 allison 6 speed in it and really like it. i have only driven one truck with an autoshift in it, and only for a short distance.but in my oppinion the allison is a much better transmission,no holding a clutch pedal in at stop lights or in traffic jams. but if you are operating the truck in hilly areas, i would recomend getting an engine or transmission brake installed as you will save alot of wear and tear on your brakes.DD.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The Allison is a fully automatic transmission, with a torque converter and operates like an automatic in the family car. They are very relaible if properly maintained and not beat on, and about as simple as it gets to use. They have a high initial cost (about $8-10k) and the torque converter design robs about one mile a gallon.

Eaton autoshifts are based on a standard manual gearbox, using a computer and actuators to make the shifts. Autoshifts must be clutched to start moving in first, then the computer takes over.
Eaton now has an Ultrashift, basically the same design, but it is clutch pedal-less, using another computer controlled actuator to operate a regular clutch. The new Ultrashifts are expensive, but the Autoshift generally costs LESS than an Allison auto. Ultra and Autoshifts don't generally steal any fuel mileage, and can actually beat out the MPG of a manual transmission operator who doesn't know how to properly shift.

That's basically comparing the differences. I have driven Allisons and Autoshifts, but have yet to test an Ultrashift truck. For no clutch operation and biting a little cost, if I were to build a truck of my own that needed an automatic at this time, I wouod choose the well proven Allison.
-Weave-

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
The Allison has superior acceleration characteristics. It does seem a bit harsh at times. The Auto-Shift is a good setup if it is the 10 speed or bigger. The small 7 speed is a joke and anyone who has had one will tell you the same. Dollar for dollar I would go Allison, just don't scrimp on maintenance. You got to service this tranny regularly or it will fail. The cost and down time will kill you financially so service that trans is the secret to being happy with your combo. Good luck.