Allison automatic

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I have an Allison 6 sp auto in my 06 freighter, the trans temp has been increasing slowly the last few months and I believe my shift points are increasing, anyone have any experience with this??

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It might be a simple issue but First I need some questions answered in order to even start to diagnose the problem.

1) What series it the transmission 2000, or 3000 how manny miles on the transmission?

2) When was the spin on filter changed? Do you change it every 50,000 miles or 2,000 service hours at least twice a year regardless of milage I change mine on average 25,000 miles.

3) Was the fluid and filter changed every 150,000 miles, 4,000 service hours, or four years old?

4) What type of fluid you are running Transynd like you should have or did somone get cheap and fill it with Dextron. Dextron is still ok but it dose not perform and protect as good as Transynd.

5) What is the condition of the fluid, cherry red, slightly tinted, brown, black, smell normal or gross burnned smell. Is there bits of metal on the dipstick, how dose the fluid feel clean and smooth or dose it feel gritty,

6) Any new or strange sounds? grinding, banging, moaning, louder than normal operation sounds.

7) Is the transmission slipping or dropping gears?

8) Any burning smell like burned oil miked with hot brake smell?

9) Any codes or trouble lights?

10) How is your engine performance? Engine problems will affect the transmission.

11) Has the transmission locked into limp mode on you stuck in second gear? Or has it shut down completely?

12) Do you still have both electronic as well as manual/hydrolic opperation or has it dropped to manual/hydrolic mode?

13) Is this the original transmission, Allison factory rebuilt, transmission shop rebuilt, or a bone yard special? Yep, theres a difference.

14) Are your cooler fins blocked up with crud, dented or flatened restricting airflow?

15) Are your transmission lines and pan bolts tight?

If you take my advice and attempt any work on your truck YOU ASSUME THE RISK no matter what happens.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Well, umm I've been in this one for 20,000 miles and not a scrap of maintenance for transmission, its a 3 series and when I took possession it was cold outside

Now this being my problem I intend to do a full service on the tranny this week, no slipping fluid looks and smells fine, Allison fluid, 650,000 on the truck and reinstate I can tell its still factory, I bought the spin on filter but I believe it has two internal filters as well, everything is tight on the pan and there are no noises from the tranny ( my air compressor is another story ) I've noticed it running around 185 deg lately and that's a good deal hotter than normal, cooler is fine no damage and I just removed it due to a cracked injector cup issue on my engine, this is my first Allison and wanted some opinions from those who've had them for a bit.

Sorry for the lack of separation on my sentences, its been a 3000 mile for day fiasco in Texas area

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would start with the spin on filter first Use an Allison filter only and top off the fluid Somthing as simple as a ten dollar spin on filter can raise havoc.

You mentioned higher temps are you refering to engine or do you have a seperate guage for the transmission sump?, or are you going by the engine coolant temp. Sump temps 180 to 200 is normal up to arround 80 deg F 200 - 225 durring hot weather 80 degF and hotter is common. If you have 650,000 and that is the original tranny that may be just from wear

I would check with allison before swapping out the internal filters as they are usualy good for the life of the transmission. With the milage its a tough call it might help but as the varnish deposits build up they become a working part. Kinda like a scab on a cut strip the varnish rip the scab off.
650,000 miles it might be a replacement give the transmission ID numbers to an allison dealership and they can tell you if that is original or replacement, also they can tell you its service record if taken to an Allison shop.
The overlap betwene shifts, may be a program or valve body issue or a worn transmission. This will also produce heat.

Please dont shoot the messenger,
If its the original transmission without a rebuild its served a long life and it may be getting ready for a rebuild My experiance with Allison transmissions on class 6 and 7trucks is arround 350,000 you start running on borrowed time. GOOD NEWS is, as long as you dont have metal in the fluid its usualy internal filters, cluch packs, spraigs, seals and valve body refresh. Major parts just get a good cleaning. I always strongly recomend replacing the spraigs regardless of wear and planetary sets even if they have a little but still look good. Keep in mind they wont know for sure untill its appart. You might wand to price out a Allison reman.
A complete Allison will probably set you back almost $5,000.

Bob Wolf.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I would start with the spin on filter first Use an Allison filter only and top off the fluid Somthing as simple as a ten dollar spin on filter can raise havoc.

You mentioned higher temps are you refering to engine or do you have a seperate guage for the transmission sump?, or are you going by the engine coolant temp. Sump temps 180 to 200 is normal up to arround 80 deg F 200 - 225 durring hot weather 80 degF and hotter is common. If you have 650,000 and that is the original tranny that may be just from wear

I would check with allison before swapping out the internal filters as they are usualy good for the life of the transmission. With the milage its a tough call it might help but as the varnish deposits build up they become a working part. Kinda like a scab on a cut strip the varnish rip the scab off.
650,000 miles it might be a replacement give the transmission ID numbers to an allison dealership and they can tell you if that is original or replacement, also they can tell you its service record if taken to an Allison shop.
The overlap betwene shifts, may be a program or valve body issue or a worn transmission. This will also produce heat.

If its the original transmission without a rebuild its served a long life and it may be getting ready for a rebuild My experiance with Allison transmissions on class 6 and 7trucks is arround 350,000 you start running on borrowed time. GOOD NEWS is, as long as you dont have metal in the fluid its usualy internal filters, cluch packs, spraigs, seals and valve body refresh. Major parts just get a good cleaning. I always strongly recomend replacing the spraigs regardless of wear and planetary sets even if they have a little but still look good. Keep in mind they wont know for sure untill its appart. You might wand to price out a Allison reman.

Bob Wolf.

It locked me out of my messages, can you send me your cell number again, Ty sir

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
i know my Allison 3000 HS in my M2 is on borrowed time at 880,000 mi.s but she still works great. I have serviced w/ transynd and the 2 internal filters since about 300,000 mi.s. At the 450,000 mi. service, the fluid was full of gold (brass?) metal filings, but none since. I am either missing something, or mine was made without the spin on filter.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
i know my Allison 3000 HS in my M2 is on borrowed time at 880,000 mi.s but she still works great. I have serviced w/ transynd and the 2 internal filters since about 300,000 mi.s. At the 450,000 mi. service, the fluid was full of gold (brass?) metal filings, but none since. I am either missing something, or mine was made without the spin on filter.

Mine has no spin on filter either, just the two internal ones, what are your shift points? Speed I mean and what speed does you converter lock up at? 60- 65 ? What year is your truck?

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
07 hino with ally 3500RD with 890k miles, no external filter.

I have changed my fluid and internal filters every year.

it seems to shift better now than it did new. When it was new it used to bang and clank alot. For the last few years its been real smooth.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Mine has no spin on filter either, just the two internal ones, what are your shift points? Speed I mean and what speed does you converter lock up at? 60- 65 ? What year is your truck?

'07 M2. The only shift points I know are 4th to 5th, average acceleration is around 45mph, 5th to 6th occurs around 64mph.

I have serviced it every 130 to 150k mi.s.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Allison 1000 / 2000 series transmissions have external filters as well as older models.
The 3000 / 4000 modles are all internal.
I have a tech PDF file I can PM to you.
for 1000 / 2000 and 3000 / 4000

Metal fragments especialy brass is a sign of serious dammage. If its still going the only thing I can say is its an Allison.

Bob Wolf.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
'07 M2. The only shift points I know are 4th to 5th, average acceleration is around 45mph, 5th to 6th occurs around 64mph.

I have serviced it every 130 to 150k mi.s.

Mine shifts identical, good stuff

lukas

Rookie Expediter
Hi guys,

I have 07 freightliner m2 106 MBE 900 with allison automatic transsmision 5 spd
About week ago I noticed that I'm low on trans fluid but I didn't have time to do it right the way. So I drove about 800 miles like that and before I got to my destination my truck wouldn't go up the hills. It would slow down even to 20mph. I figured thatvis has to be trans problem so I changed trans fluid and filters. I just get out from dealer and after 70miles my truck wouldn't go up the hill it slows down to 45mph on every hill. Plus I'm getting weird smell in the cabin.
Any ideas whatbut can be??

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
In my opion no other place to go for Heavy Transmission and Drive Line compents..I have sent these guys dozens of Allison transmissions, Cotta Transfer cases,,Rear ends,,for rebuild while working in the redi mix industry and not once have to send one back..Its been a few years since I dealt with them and we where getting same day service almost each time. Charged only for actual parts that went into the rebuild or repair..(plus labor). Work done for us was on heavy off road equipt..Never had a failure from them..

Located in Grand Rapids Mich.
WELLER TRUCK PARTS | WELLER REMAN

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter

Bob Wolf.

Bob, what is sump size on a Allison 3000 HS serial number 6510646384? this is in a 2007 Freightliner M2 106.
I need to do pm on it, and change the filters, and the correct filter is determined by the sump?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
depends on the pan depth, anywhere from 2 to 4 gallons, always check it when filling and after you start it and let it run for one or two minutes. There should be an ID tag on the case call an Allison shop with that number and they will give you better details.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
depends on the pan depth, anywhere from 2 to 4 gallons, always check it when filling and after you start it and let it run for one or two minutes. There should be an ID tag on the case call an Allison shop with that number and they will give you better details.

Bob, if he is doing a complete dump and filters it should be around 28 quarts. Just filters and your 2 to 4 gallons would be correct. My 4000 hs holds 36 quarts on a full pm/